Edexcel GCSE History: Superpower Relations and the Cold War, 1941-1991
Topic 2: Cold War Crises, 1958-1970
Lesson 1: The Berlin Crisis, 1961
- The refugee problem in Berlin
- Khrushchev’s Berlin ultimatum (1958)
- The summit meetings of 1959–61.
- The construction of the Berlin Wall, 1961.
- The Impact of the construction of the Berlin Wall on US-Soviet relations.
- Kennedy’s visit to Berlin in 1963.
Lesson 2: The Crisis Over Cuba, 1962
- Soviet relations with Cuba, the Cuban Revolution and the refusal of the USA to recognise Castro’s government.
- The significance of the Bay of Pigs incident.
- The events of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- The consequences of the Cuban Missile Crisis: the ‘hotline’, the Limited Test Ban Treaty 1963; the Outer Space Treaty 1967; and the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty 1968.
Lesson 3: The Soviet Invasion of Czechoslovakia, 1968
- Opposition in Czechoslovakia to Soviet control: the Prague Spring.
- The Brezhnev Doctrine and the re-establishment of Soviet control in Czechoslovakia.
- International reaction to Soviet measures in Czechoslovakia.
Activities, exam questions and hyperlinked videos are included throughout the lessons.