California State Symbols - This unit contains fun activities to reinforce learning about the state of California. It also includes a state symbols assessment, printable reference chart, printable activities, teaching notes, bulletin board ideas, and more. Your kids will have a blast learning about California, The Golden State!
1. State Symbols printable reference chart (B&W)
2. State Symbols printable reference chart (color)
3. "Create a CA License Plate" activity instructions
4. "Create a CA License Plate" printable activity
5. State Symbols Quiz p. 1 (fill-in)
6. State Symbols Quiz p. 2 (fill-in)
7. "Design a State Seal" printable activity
8. "Postcard Contest" Instructor Notes
9. "Postcard Contest" Student Instructions
10. 58 California County Checklist
11. County Map (B&W)
12. County Map (color)
Note: The postcard contest is a really fun way to learn about all 58 California Counties. Students compete against other classrooms, or work together in their own class community, to receive post cards from all 58 counties. I laminate a large poster of the black and white county map (page 12 of this product). As postcards come in, we read them together, learning about each county's unique and distinguishing features. I then add the postcards to our bulletin board titled, "We (heart) California" and use a colored expo pen to shade the represented county.
I happen to teach at an extremely competitive school where parents, in addition to students, get on board. We post the official start date of the contest, and require that each card or envelope be postmarked and dated from the original county of origin. The winning class earns an ice cream party and bragging rights for the year! :) Even if you're not competitive, it's still a really fun activity when engages all students in learning.
Happy teaching and enjoy!