1. Identify key events of Cromwell’s life
2. Explain why different people have had different opinions of Cromwell
3. Create scenes from Cromwell’s life from different points of view
1. Slides 2-3: Introduce two contrasting views of Cromwell to establish the debate and controversy (statue and Pogues' song - lyrics provided)
2. Print copies of Slide 5 and the card sort for students to use.
3. Sort Cromwell's key life events into a living graph, positive and negative, according to different people (Charles II, Prime Minister, film maker, students themselves, to establish different interpretations)
4. Students complete personal copy of Cromwell's living graph, to understand the main events of his life for Lesson 2.
1. Print Slide 8 for students. They work in teams to produce three tableau or freeze-frames from the point of view of a film maker, a school textbook writer, and the writer of an Irish nationalist magazine in 1900. They must decide how to set the scene to get across each person's point of view of Cromwell, including how he stands, the key events they might focus on, background etc. (see Slide 8).