This excel operated tool is for early year practitioners, primary teachers, personal tutors and reading recovery specialists. It allows individual students to be periodically assessed, analysed and monitored over time and keep everything organised in their reading file.
The digital running record can be used to benchmark a child's reading as well as daily running records,
1) BENCHMARK- Automated onscreen levelled text from 1 to 15 which can be used to find the child's instructional and independent reading levels.
2) RUNNING RECORDS- A user friendly blank running record to be used with the student, which not only allows us to find the appropriate level of reading for the child, but also allows for an automatic detailed analysis of reading behaviours, skills being adopted and types of miscues used. These can be individually saved to PDF for archiving.
3) LEARNING SNAPSHOT - An accessible menu snapshot of the child's latest reading results and a graph to show their progression over time.
4) DIARY LOG - Every time the child reads, all the results are logged into the diary log to quickly see how the child has progressed, and in which areas, over the weeks. This can be saved as a PDF and printed.
5) REPORT - After every running record session you will be shown a student report which can be saved.
6) COMPREHENSION TASK - All the pre-loaded text comes with associated questions and your own records are followed up by a comprehension page. This allows you to ask questions related to the text, analyse their ability to retell, and judge some of the strategies and behaviours they used in order to acquire a skill set score.
A running record is a tool that helps teachers to identify patterns in student reading behaviors. These patterns allow a teacher to see the strategies a student uses to make meaning of individual words and texts as a whole. Running records, when paired with comprehension inquiry, can be used to identify an instructional reading level for individual students. While running records are a diagnostic tool, they can and should be used to inform instruction and to help extend a readers use of strategies for working on text.
As a reading recovery teacher and personal tutor, I use this system for convenience and paper free organisation. It allows me to quickly analyse the student's reading behaviours, strategies and level of comprehension. Very quickly I can take a record whilst listening to a child read, and it automatically works out the level of accuracy in order to get them to the right instructional level/colour band of book.
This system has been brought together by just another passionate educator such as yourself, who wants to make early learning reading assessment available without a price tag and for us to truly understand where our children are in their learning.
Works on all versions of excel and comes complete with instructions.