about the engineering and design of hotels as they research and design one with their team. After introducing the lesson with a short video (link included in resources), students complete a math project about hotel design that focuses on perimeter, area, square footage, measurement and scale skills (formulas are included). Next, they work with their team to research information about the design and engineering involved in hotel construction and plan the design, materials and budget for the hotel they will design. Then, they work individually to create their own hotel to scale in Sketchup (a free CAD software program, download available at: https://www.sketchup.com/download ) and after completion, determine which of the team’s designs they will actually construct. Finally, they build a model of their hotel using recycled materials, following the Engineering Design Process with their team. After completing their hotel, students present their project to the class and explain their design choices. Finally, students reflect on and summarize their learning with short answers to questions about the experience and what they learned.
This lesson was created for 7th and 8th grade, but could also be used successfully in upper elementary grades or high school as well.
• Teacher & Student Resources
• Team Sign Up Sheet
• Team Planning Sheet, Budget Sheet & Price List (editable)
• Hotel Design Math Project – Student Questions and Answer Key (editable digital and print versions)
• Math Formula “Cheat Sheet”
• Engineering & Design Research Project – Student Questions and Answer Key (editable digital and print versions)
• Hotel Design in Sketchup Project - Student Instructions, Expectations and Grading Rubric
• Hotel Building & Construction Project – Student Instructions, Expectations and Grading Rubric
• Engineering Design Process Planning Sheet (editable digital and print versions)
• Reflection Questions (editable digital and print versions)