Designed for an observation lesson.
This resource focuses on revision of: cardiac cycle; protein structure; classification.
- Starter: Million pound sweet drop live quiz game
- Spot the mistakes task in a student's exam answer (includes mark scheme & examiner's report)
- Task for students to look at examples of extended written exam answers & how to improve them (this task uses some exemplars that OCR have provided)
- Connect 4 task with answers included. Students choose 4 exam questions up/down/across/diagonal to complete (print slide from powerpoint & enlarge to A3; print mark scheme packs for students)
Designed for a low ability year 7 group. Can be easily adapted for a higher ability group.
Students investigate the relationship between the mass of a shoe and the force needed to pull it against friction.
Powerpoint with learning objectives; instructions; plenary (diary entry-opportunity for extended writing).
Method sheet which includes results table & extension questions about their observations.
OCR A2 Biology Module 5 (New specification). All answers to exam practice questions included in presentation.
***Video links are included in the notes section now (if the embedded video does not work)***
- lesson objectives
- engaging starter- reviewing 'fight or flight' response & introducing hormonal control of heart rate
- embedded video to review AS knowledge of electrical control of the heart
- concept map about chemoreceptors & baroreceptors; exam practice questions (print & enlarge to A3) for students to fill in
- OCR past exam paper question & answer included
- maths skills in Biology exam practice questions & answers included.
Designed for an observation lesson which was graded outstanding.
Powerpoint includes starter; lesson objectives; video links & questions; 'respiration race game'; creative writing task with success criteria; support sheet for lower ability students; plenary.
Respiration race questions- print out on different coloured paper & cut up. Assign each group one colour to make it easier for you to track who has answered the questions.
Learning objective checklist can be used as a starter/mini plenary/plenary activity to check progress.
Designed for a lesson observation, which was graded outstanding.
- Powerpoint which sets the scenario for students (classroom pet kidnapped; ransom note left behind; three suspects)
- Learning objective checklist- can be used as a starter/mini-plenary/plenary
- Evidence cards of the 'suspects'
- Method tick list
- Police report for students to fill in with their results
KS3 lesson based around students constructing different sized parachutes (using straws; string; tape; plastic bags) & testing how long they take to fall.
Powerpoint includes lesson objectives; variables for investigation; extension task.
Worksheet includes results table & tasks for students to complete.
Powerpoint includes: starter; lesson objectives; key definitions; autograph activity; graph skills (graph is not related to mixtures & solutions but incorporated as a follow on from a homework task I gave to my students); plenary million pound sweet drop live game.
Designed for an observation lesson.
Powerpoint includes lesson objectives; starter; instructions for task on worksheet (included); success criteria for modelling activity; plenary.
Race game questions- print on different coloured paper & cut up. Assign each group a different colour so you can easily track the answers given to you.
Worksheet includes task from the main activity and success criteria for the modelling activity.
Designed for a KS3 year 7 group.
Powerpoint introduces the definition of density & includes visual prompts for the students that are collecting equipment for investigation about density.
Method sheet included with step by step instructions, results table & fill in the blanks activity.
OCR Biology A PAG 11: Investigating the effect of temperature on heart rate in Daphnia.
Links with A-level Biology topics: control of heart rate; homeostasis;features of an ectotherm.
Could be also used for teaching high ability KS3 or KS4 Biology students.
Powerpoint & planning sheet designed for an observation lesson.
Students have to design their own method using the equipment provided (this is listed in slide 9 in the powerpoint).
Planning sheet is differentiated into red/amber/green tasks to stretch & challenge students.
Answers for extension questions are included in the powerpoint.
Video links are included which show the Daphnia's heart beating & how to carefully handle the Daphnia.
Exam questions & mark schemes for all 3 ecosystems.
Jigsaw group task: Each group has a different assigned ecosystem
(Masai Mara/Terai region/Peat bogs); concept maps to fill in for each ecosystem included in the powerpoint.
Chemistry KS3 lesson on Noble Gases.
Linked with Activate 2 Textbook C2 1.5
- extended written question on alkali metals to review prior learning
- mark scheme included for extended written 6 mark question
- task for students: identify properties of group 0 elements by plotting a graph of the relative atomic masses & describing trends observed.
- stretch & challenge extension tasks (mark scheme included)
- Wordsearch plenary
Lesson PowerPoint includes the following:
- Video on how red blood cells are derived from stem cells.
- Sorting activity focusing on the differences between erythrocytes & neutrophils.
- Exam practice question & answers on how erythocytes & neutrophils are derived from stem cells.
- Excellent video on ethics & stem cells for stimulating a class discussion.
- Group activity- role cards on different viewpoints on stem cells.
Reference for resources used for role cards & group activity: http://www.eurostemcell.org/films#conversations
Exam Practice questions from the ecology section on module 6; difference between intraspecific & interspecific competition; competitive exclusion principle; past paper exam questions for students to complete which are differentiated into green/amber/red (mark schemes included); plenary: word taboo.
Note: I print the green/amber/red questions in packs which students work together in groups to answer within a time limit. Then rotate questions with another group to correct/annotate before marking.
Used for an interview lesson observation which was graded outstanding.
12 page booklet with exam practice questions (differentiated into green/amber/red) on genetic diagrams involving codominance &sex-linked characteristics. Glossary of key terms included in booklet.
Presentation includes: million pound sweet drop live game; answers for all questions in the booklet.
New specification OCR Biology A. Linked with Oxford Press Year 2 Biology A Textbook.
Powerpoint lesson includes: practical activities investigating reflex actions; exam practice questions & answers; mark scheme.
Designed for an observation lesson with a focus on active learning.
Information hunt about the structure of the plant and their functions.
Extension task on worksheet.
Autograph activity to review learning.
Million pound sweet drop live group quiz.
Leaning objective checklist that can be used as a quick settler/mini plenary/plenary to check progress.