Dear Prospective staff member,
Firstly thank you for taking the time in considering King Faisal School for the next stage of your career and professional development. As an IB Continuum school, KFS students have previously only able to graduate with an IB Diploma. The graduates of Summer 2018 benefited from our AdvancEd Accreditation and had the choice between IB Diploma and American Diploma. With the school roll increasing and an ambitious development plan in place we now seek an excellent practitioner to help lead and develop the school’s American Diploma course.
We need a middle leader who can clearly demonstrate energy, innovation and creativity in every element of the role, going the ‘extra mile’ to enable our students to be the leaders of tomorrow. I wish all applicants a successful career, be that here with us at KFS or elsewhere.
The successful candidate joins the school at a wonderful time in its development. With an ever-growing number of students on roll and increased funding the school has recently grown from 1,400 to 1,900 students. With an ambitious Governing Body the next few years at KFS will see much positive change.
Boys’ School Principal
Academic Coordinator for the American Diploma Programme - Grades 8-12
Overview of the post:
As part of the Middle Leadership Team, you will support, develop, hold accountable and advise teams of Grade Leaders, subject teachers and Advisory Teachers (Personal / Form Tutors / Class Teachers). Together, you will ensure both high standards of academia and care for the wellbeing, welfare, health and general happiness of students. Teaching and Learning will be a pivotal part of the daily role, ensuring we continue to develop as a school our strategies to empower our students and also our teachers within the classroom. A robust Performance Management system will be developed to support teachers.
Key Strategic Responsibilities
- Lead and manage the school’s team of AD teachers to ensure the delivery of curriculum supports all students and exceeds the expectations of all stakeholders.
- Support the Vice Principals and engage in a programme of lesson observations, evaluating effective teaching, recording and reporting results.
- Coordinate the collection, tracking, analysis and presentation of assessments and other key academic data in the American Diploma Programme.
- Coordinate the cycle of AD reporting to parents, supporting the Vice Principal Academic.
- Ensure effective reporting to and communication with parents, guardians and other agents in line with the school’s policies and procedures.
- Develop a consistent and effective approach with all teachers in the academic delivery of the curriculum coupled with the health and general happiness of students.
- Work closely with the Vice Principals and all staff to create an atmosphere of joined up thinking.
- Support the work of the growing SEN department.
- Support and assist students to ensure that they understand and are actively adhering to School’s policies, including the issuing of sanctions, incentives and rewards.
- Together with other Middle Leaders celebrate academic success of the students.
- Together with other Middle Leaders, develop strategies, targets and letters for students with academic concerns.
- Hold meetings with the appropriate teams to discuss academic performance of students.
- Work with the School’s Ministry of Education representative to assure compliance of the Programme within national frameworks.
- Work efficiently and effectively with our school staff and commercial partners in delivering a rich academic programme.
- Wider Responsibilities:
- Follow the guidelines of the staff handbook.
- Support the School and its leadership.
- Continue personal development as agreed.
- Engage actively in the performance review process.
- Comply with any reasonable request from the Principal to undertake work not specified in this job description.
- Be courteous to colleagues and parents and to provide a welcoming environment for all visitors to the College.
- Maintain standards of ethics and behaviour in and out of school.
- Treat students with dignity, building relationships rooted in mutual respect.
- Have regard for the need to safeguard students’ well-being.
- Show tolerance of and respect for the rights of others.
- Maintain high standards of attendance and punctuality.
- Help to create and maintain a safe working environment for everyone.
Pastoral care for the wellbeing, welfare, health and general happiness of students is always your priority whilst ensuring a positive approach to academia.
- Demonstrate a logical approach to solving problems.
- Capacity to think creatively and strategically.
- Ability to work in a team and make context-based decisions with a degree of common sense.
- Proven leader able to communicate well with all colleagues.
- Ability to prioritise effectively and balance competing pressures.
- Ability to see tasks through to completion and to delegate effectively.
- Innovative educator with the ability to inspire both pupils and colleagues.
- A sense of humour and perspective.
- Positive mind-set, willing to help teachers to find ways to develop pastoral systems effectively.
Whilst this position comes with an office, it is envisaged that the majority of the successful candidate’s time will be spent in and amongst the students and the learning environment.
This position holds a reduced timetabled, however some element of the role may involve modelling good lessons or practice where appropriate to support staff.
American Diploma / AdvancEd experience is not essential for the role but helpful.
This position is based in all male academic environment within a mixed campus, therefore we seek male candidates.
Applications welcome from senior and aspiring experienced professionals with demonstrable success in educational settings.
As a new position in school this job description is subject to change as the role develops over time.