What it’s about
OCR (Oxford Cambridge and RSA Examinations) is a leading UK exam board, dedicated to recognising achievement in learners of all ages. The range of qualifications from OCR is wide and varied and there are choices for learners of all ages, abilities and needs. Over 13,000 schools, colleges, workplaces and other institutions use our A Levels, GCSEs and vocational qualifications. This role forms part of the Assessment Standards area within the Assessment Directorate in OCR. You will maintain and assure appropriate standards for assessment processes and qualifications in a designated portfolio throughout the assessment cycle in line with OCR and regulatory requirements.
What you’ll be doing
You will play a leading role in maintaining the standards of examinations and key aspects of the assessment and awarding of a range of qualifications with a specific focus on Mathematics including question paper evaluation, moderation and standardisation processes and awarding:
- For senior assessors, chair their interview and selection panels and draft and deliver their training and guidance.
- Draft performance reviews of assessment materials and qualifications and, once approved, implement their recommendations.
- Provide clear direction and leadership to ensure assessment processes are conducted in line with OCR and regulatory requirements (including grading, verification and standardisation) so that qualification outcomes are fair, consistent, and maintain OCR's public credibility.
- Provide assessment expertise to the development and piloting of new qualifications, and develop assessment strategies that align with their corresponding assessment strategy blueprints.
- For problematic subjects intervene as necessary in standardisation, marking, and marking review activities to ensure quality of assessment is maintained.
- Manage junior resources as they draft improvement to delivery models, performance-related data analysis, tasks for assessor recruitment and public facing communications.
- Review and approve centre reports and responses to comments on qualifications, represent OCR at public fora, and represent the Assessment function in OCR working groups.
- QA early drafts of assessment material to ensure they align with the assessment strategy and are error free (final approval to be provided by Senior Manager Assessment Standards).
What we’re looking for
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Proven track record of management at a senior level
- Excellent IT literacy capability
- An appreciation of the challenges of producing robust and valued general and vocational/occupational qualifications
- A knowledge of the context in which OCR operates
- The regulatory framework and requirements
- Government targets, initiatives and developments in relation to qualifications
- Legislation relating to education
- An awareness of the procedures for investigation and relevant legislation in this area (Equality Act, Human Rights Act, Data Protection Act, Freedom of Information Act etc)
- An understanding of assessment principles and methodologies in relation to general and vocational/occupational qualifications
- Knowledge of OCR policies and practice in relation to a wide range of issues
- Knowledge of external organisations involved in education 14-19, training, occupational skills and work based training and their roles
- An appropriate level of subject-specific experience or expertise in the relevant subject area.
- Experience in maintaining standards in one or more qualifications
- A proven track record in teaching schools, FE or HE
- Experience of effective chairing in meetings.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a market leader and be rewarded with valuable learning opportunities, a competitive salary and benefits.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive package of benefits to help with your life both inside and outside of work:
Work/life balance is important to us here at Cambridge Assessment, and we offer all our colleagues a range of flexible working options, which suit both the business and the employee. So please let us know of any flexible working requirements when applying and we can see how we can support you.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 11 February 2018 and interviews will be held on 12 March. .
To apply please upload your covering letter and CV
As part of your recruitment process you will be required to undergo a background screening. This will be carried out by our selected supplier, Credence Background Screening Limited.