Role: Assistant Caretaker
Salary: Southfield Scale Points 11-13 £8.11 - £8.50 per hour, dependent on experience
Location: Kettering, Northamptonshire
Job type: Part Time – Permanent Contract
20 hours per week to be worked between 15:00 and 19:00 Monday to Friday 52 weeks per year
Holiday allowance: 28 days + Bank Holidays pro rata
Southfield School has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Caretaker to join the Academy team based in Kettering, Northamptonshire. The successful candidate will join us on a part time permanent contract basis.
Southfield School enjoys an enviable reputation as one of the highest performing schools in the area in terms of our academic results, however, we are striving to build upon this with the aim of becoming a ‘World Class School’. Our ethos of ‘A world of Possibilities’ underpins everything that we do.
The ideal Assistant Caretaker will, assist in ensuring that our building, painting and decorating, general repairs and evening lettings are maintained to the required standard and within budget.
Key Responsibilities of the Assistant Caretaker
• Carry out security procedures for the school buildings and grounds
• Routine and non-routine opening and security of premises and grounds
• Ensure that the fire alarms are in working order at all times and report deficiencies to the Estates Manager in order to affect repair.
• Ensure the premises and furnishings are cleaned in accordance with the school’s standards, including carrying out cleaning of own designated area
• Maintain the cleanliness and upkeep of the premises during school holiday periods in conjunction with the other site team members
• Ensure that all contractors that enter the site have read and signed the asbestos register before any work is undertaken.
• Ensure, in conjunction with the Estates Manager, the asbestos register is kept up to date at all times.
• To report back to the Estates Manager all maintenance items on a monthly basis so that any necessary action can be taken to remedy all defects or faults discovered.
• Carry out minor or temporary maintenance and repairs and document accordingly
• Ensure that all facilities are in a clean and acceptable state prior to the letting and following a letting ensure accommodation is prepared for normal school use
• Undertake school lettings and evening events for school (e.g. Parents Evenings) on a rota basis in accordance with the lettings procedures as and when required.
• Conduct regular Health & Safety inspections working in close conjunction with the Estates Manager and maintain records.
• Waste Management – ensure safe disposal of all waste materials, equipment and furniture beyond repair
• Subject to reasonable access, ensure all gullies, gutters, rainwater pipes and drainage are clear and free running
• Ensure that all emergency exits are in good working order and free from obstructions
Skills, Knowledge and Experience required by the Assistant Caretaker
Knowledge & Experience
• Evidence of cleaning and maintenance experience
• Evidenced experience of security duties and security systems
Skills and Abilities
• Numerical and literacy skills
• Good planning and organising skills
• Attention to detail
• Good communication (verbal and written) skills
• Ability to work as a team but also independently
• Proven skills within a recognised maintenance trade i.e. Electrician or Carpenter.
Further details and an application pack are available on our website www.southfieldsch.co.uk
If you have an enthusiastic can do attitude and a willingness to challenge yourself in order to push and progress your career as our Assistant Caretaker please apply with a covering letter, not more than one side of A4, with your completed application form and send this to:
Caroline Collings, PA to the Headteacher – email@example.com
Closing date for the post is Tuesday 23 July 2019 at 9.00am
Southfield School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful applicant will be required to undergo enhanced DBS clearance. The school is committed to Equal Opportunities in Employment.