Assistant Principal – Modern Foreign Languages
L10-14 (salary negotiable based on experience, with the opportunity to also become a Specialist Leader of Education)
‘This is an outstanding school. Teachers have high expectations of their students, who respond by producing excellent work.’ (OFSTED, June 2015)
‘The behaviour of students is outstanding. They are exceptionally keen to learn, and show real enthusiasm in lessons.’ (OFSTED, June 2015)
Do you want to be part of a team where you will help make a lasting impact on our students, many of whom are disadvantaged, and rapidly accelerate their progress?
This is a new position and is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious practitioner to provide strategic leadership of the rapidly growing MFL curriculum area and also have other whole academy strategic responsibilities. You will also play a role in supporting MFL in our sister Academies in the South Coast.
We teach a rigorous academic curriculum consisting of ‘the best that has been thought and said’. With a clear focus on excellent outcomes for students, you will work with the Head of MFL (and Heads of MFL in our sister Academies) to continually drive up attainment, progress and standards at GCSE and A level.
Despite being a ‘secondary modern’ in a selective grammar school borough, our mind-set is that we are a ‘grammar school for all’. We are unapologetically ambitious for every child, no matter what their background, prior attainment or needs. Our goal is to prepare every student to be able to go to university or high-powered alternative. We believe in the traditional values of hard work and kindness.
Our Academy is a vibrant and exciting place to work and was graded as outstanding in all areas by Ofsted in June 2015. In 2016, Magna achieved a Progress 8 score of 0.52, placing us well within the top 5% of highest performing schools nationally. In 2017, Magna achieved a Progress 8 score of 0.4, placing us in the top 15% nationally.
We have very high expectations of our staff, but we value them highly, and treat work load very seriously. Our systems ensure you can really focus on your core purpose – teaching, in a sustainable way, unhindered by bureaucracy or poor behaviour.
What we offer:
- A professional progression model to enable you to progress to Vice-Principalship
- Great students who behave impeccably – you can make a massive difference to them
- Tight, robust ‘no excuses’ behaviour systems
- Same-day centralised detentions, including homework detentions (you do not need to organise/run/chase them at all), helping to underpin impeccable behaviour, so you are free to teach
- A feedback policy focused on whole class feedback – we do not have onerous/impossible marking policies
- A centralised homework system at KS3 – you do not need to check/mark KS3 homework
- No formal graded lesson observations – just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ feedback, helping you to continuously develop – we believe that trusting our staff with autonomy helps to develop a strong staff culture
- Collaborative planning with centralised, shared units of work and resources
- CPD starts as soon as you are appointed
- State of the art facilities and a very pleasant location in beautiful Dorset
The successful candidate will be:
- an excellent teacher of French and/or Spanish
- a successful leader with proven middle/senior leadership experience, who will play an important role in leading MFL and the Academy into its next stage of development
- someone with significant experience of raising achievement, leading change and ability to motivate staff and students
- someone who does whatever it takes to ensure the life chances of all our students are maximised. They will blend extreme personal humility with intense professional will.
- totally aligned to our values and mission. If you are the type of person who fits with our culture, you will love working here.
You would be a member of the Senior Leadership Team, be able to study for the NPQSL and have excellent progression opportunities to become a Vice- Principal as the Academy, National Teaching School, National Support School and MAT continue to grow. As a Teaching School you would also have the opportunity to become a Specialist Leader of Education.
We actively welcome visits and would be delighted to show you around our Academy to fully appreciate our excellent learning environment.
To apply, please click on the “quick apply” button to submit an online application.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 01202 604222 to arrange a visit or an informal, confidential discussion about the role.
Closing date for applications: 9am Wednesday 23rd May 2018.
Learn more about Magna Academy at: www.aatmagna.org
Magna Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The successful candidate will be subject to an enhanced DBS check before taking up the post.