About United Learning
United Learning is a unique group of independent and state schools working together to achieve the best in everyone. Our vision is to provide excellent education so that all young people are able to make a success of their lives and, if we are to realise this vision, we need to make sure we attract, develop and reward the key ingredient – you.
Opportunity to play a role in the development of our highly successful Academy.
We seek an outstanding and innovative Assistant Principal with the ability to design and embed policy, build teams, and empower others. We are looking for someone who is committed to securing high standards of learning and teaching in order to raise academic achievement. You will have the opportunity to contribute to our large enrichment programme and share expertise across a growing group of Academies and independent schools within United Learning.
The core purpose of all of the Senior Leadership roles is to improve achievement and attainment for all groups of students by focusing on improving progress, learning and teaching. We rotate specific responsibilities to enable the team to gain valuable experience in different areas of leadership.
As Assistant Principal, you will be responsible for leading on aspects of Academy improvement which play to your strengths and interests. You will be a role model to staff, who will look to you for outstanding line management, support and challenge. We know that outstanding leaders have transferable skills and are confident and effective in all aspects of their leadership but we also recognise that as a new senior leader, you will need support and challenge yourself so that you can grow to be the best you can be – we will make this happen.
You will relate to the Academy’s ethos of “the best in everyone” and enjoy working with a rich, diverse group of young people in a dynamic and vibrant learning environment. Walthamstow Academy is sponsored by United Learning. As part of the largest group of Academies and independent schools, we offer outstanding professional development and career progression across both the maintained and independent sector.
To conclude, we need someone who is passionate about making a difference. Our students are amazing, so are our staff. If you have the qualities to be part of the team to take outcomes for the Academy to the next level, please get in touch.
Job Purpose (specific purpose to be discussed at interview and agreed upon appointment)
- to support the Principal in transforming leadership at all levels of the Academy
- to work with all SLT in promoting the Academy’s vision and aims, developing and implementing policy, and monitoring and evaluating progress
- with the Principal, to build leadership capacity within the middle leadership team and provide opportunities for them to flourish
- to be a role model to all staff and students demonstrating positive leadership behaviours, confidentiality and discretion
- to be a line manager who is approachable and who develops others by supporting and challenging them to be the best they can be, including through meeting formally regularly (at least once per fortnight) and sharing the minutes of those meetings with the Middle Leader and the Principal, ideally within 48 hours
- to take the initiative and be accountable for your decisions and your areas of your responsibility and for those you line manage
- to monitor and evaluate the relevance and effectiveness of aspects of Academy processes and their impact on improving achievement and attainment of all groups of students and to develop strategy accordingly
- to use quality assurance systems to monitor, track, evaluate and improve aspects of Academy Improvement linked to your role
- to advise on and provide INSET for all staff on strategies for promoting the areas of your responsibility
- to lead on aspects of Academy self-evaluation and preparation for inspection
Working for us
Walthamstow Academy opened its impressive new building in 2006 and since then we have achieved excellent results both at GCSE and at A-Level. In 2017, Walthamstow Academy students achieved a Progress 8 score of 0.44 (which is in the top 18% of schools nationally). At A-Level, our students achieve excellently with many of them progressing to Russell Group institutions. Because we are so successful, the school is now full and oversubscribed on first choices alone.
We do not achieve these results by accident. At Walthamstow Academy, we believe in the best in everyone. We have a relentless focus on high expectations and aim to identify barriers to success and provide necessary support as quickly as possible to ensure our students achieve. We do not accept excuses and always strive for the best.
The Academy is proud of its multi-cultural character and we celebrate the diversity of heritage in our community. 84% of our students are from minority ethnic groups, many coming from African, Caribbean, Eastern European, Turkish and Pakistani communities.
Within the community served by the academy there is social and economic disadvantage with more than half of the students being eligible for Pupil Premium. One third of the students have a first language other than English and a significant number have low levels of literacy on entry. Many students enter the Academy with low levels of attainment and the staff work hard to add value to their performance. Standards across the Academy are above national averages in most subjects.
The Academy is located close to the North Circular Road, M11 and both Blackhorse Road and Walthamstow Central underground stations from where it takes about half an hour to get into central London. The Academy is situated in a part of London where property prices are still relatively inexpensive and within easy access of Epping Forest, the Lee Valley and rural Hertfordshire and Essex.
Walthamstow Academy has achieved the CPLD Gold Award in recognition of our investment in professional development, because we know that without our wonderful staff, what we have achieved would not be possible, so thank you for your interest in coming to work with us. It starts with someone like you believing you can contribute further to our community.
Please apply online by clicking on the following link https://unitedlearning.current-vacancies.com/Jobs/Advert/1146550?cid=1567
Closing date: Monday 19 February 2018 at 9am
Where teaching is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.