Permanent Part-time, 20 hours per week for 39 weeks per year (during School term time).
Westminster School is a leading coeducational, day and boarding Uniting Church School located in Marion, south-west of the city. We promote being courageous, curious, inclusive, kind, mindful and resilient and aim to instill these values in both our students and our staff.
Our Mission is to provide an exceptional education for students Early Learning to Year 12.
Boarding House Nurse
In collaboration with the School Health Centre nursing staff, the Boarding House Nurse will help coordinate the Boarding House health services program and will provide primary and holistic health care for our boarding students,.
The Boarding House Nurse will be expected to work 6.30pm to 10pm Monday to Thursday and a 6 hour shift on Saturdays. The Nurse may also be required to be on-call for emergency situations or to provide cover for the Heads of Boarding.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Deliver quality assessment, treatment and referral of ill and injured students in a timely fashion on presentation in the Boarding House and /or on School Grounds as necessary.
- Provide friendly, professional and efficient services to students, assist to educate and manage students with serious and chronic illnesses.
- Liaise with School appointed Doctor/s to ensure all medical instructions are implemented in accordance with approved Health Care plans.
- Assist with the maintenance of a Westminster School Boarding Medical Policy and Procedure manual to ensure safe nursing practice within the facility (including a protocol for medical and other referrals).
- In conjunction with the School Nurses, ensure appropriate controls over the dispensing of medication to students who have written consent from their parents or guardians.
- Maintain well documented records on all students who have sought a consultation in line with legislative requirements.
- Educate boarding staff members as necessary on relevant care for specific illnesses.
- Refer and comply with relevant legislation relating to school nursing practice and child and adolescent Healthcare
- Maintain a caring, responsible presence with boarding students, in conjunction with the relevant Head of Boarding.
- Provide pastoral care for individual boarding students.
Key Selection Criteria: Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Hold registration by the Nurses Board of South Australia as a Registered Nurse and a current practising certificate with at least 3 years, full time equivalent, post-registration experience.
- Senior First Aid.
- Anaphylaxis Management Qualifications.
- Demonstrated competency in Basic Life Support.
- Previous experience ideally would include a role as a School Nurse, Accident and Emergency and/or Paediatric Nurse.
- Experience in health promotion and education, preferably in a school setting.
- Undertaken approved training in Immunisation Administration
- Understanding of the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council (‘ANMC’) National Competencies for the Registered Nurse and Midwifes in Recommended Domains.
- Knowledge and understanding of the ANMC Code of professional Conduct for Nurses in Australia (2003).
- Willing to undertake the ABSA Duty of Care Certificate Course.
Key Selection Criteria: Personal Qualities
- An excellent practitioner with a successful record of working with adolescents and children, preferably in a school or other educational environment
- An understanding of the social, developmental and health needs of young children and adolescents.
- Committed to holistic student wellbeing.
- Organised and flexible, with the ability to prioritise workloads, manage multiple tasks and be proactive.
- Able to demonstrate excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Have appropriate knowledge and experience in working with children and adolescents, in the assessment of needs, group work, networking and referral.
- Flexible in approach to working hours and has the ability to respond immediately to a crisis
- Positive, with a personable and professional image.
A position description is available on our website under the Careers tab www.westminster.school
For further information about this role please contact HR at email@example.com
To apply, please submit via Seek, your resume and cover letter addressed to Mr Zac Savage, Director of Boarding/Head of Boys’ Boarding by 9.00am Friday 15 February 2019.
Westminster, where you can achieve more than you thought possible.