We are looking for committed and enthusiastic recent graduates and students currently seeking a work placement to join our boarding team, starting in June 2018 for a term (10 weeks) or up to a year. The role would suit a graduate considering a future career in education or candidates with previous experience of working with children in a pastoral or outdoor environment. We are looking for candidates who can offer experience or expertise in sports, activities and children’s pastoral care. The role offers both a rich insight into life at a boarding school as well as opportunities to develop and learn core pastoral skills, and give firsthand experience of working with children. The College aims to provide our students with the experiences of a wide variety of boarding experience, activities and sports they are likely to encounter at the independent school they progress to.
The position will be orientated to the strengths and interests of the candidates wherever possible and designed to help to foster their career progression. Opportunities exist for those wishing to prepare for PGCE entry to gain experience assisting in the classroom under the direction of a teacher.
Bishopstrow College is a co-educational, year-round boarding college preparing young international students aged 7 to 17 years old for entry to the best UK boarding schools. The College has up to 85 boarders who come from a wide range of countries so that no single language group predominates. The academic year is divided into 4 terms and courses are run for three age groups: 7-11 years, 12-13 years and 14-17 years. Students stay for between one and four terms as it is always the aim to move them on to their preferred schools as quickly as possible.
There is a trip most Sundays to destinations such as Bath, London, Oxford and Portsmouth. The students also have opportunities especially in the summer to experience a range of outdoor activities. Occasionally staff organise visits to rugby, netball or football matches locally.
Pastoral responsibilities include:
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students
- Supervising and ensuring the smooth running of day to day boarding and pastoral routines, e.g. wake up & bedtime routines, supervising meals, prep and free time
- Administrative duties associated with pastoral and boarding care e.g. reports to parents, registration of students
Sports responsibilities might include:
- Daily sports coaching in small classes of well motivated students e.g. cricket, basketball, football, hockey, netball, rugby etc.
- Preparing and planning sports lessons
- Ensuring the health & safety of students during sports lessons
· Facilitating and encouraging a learning experience which provides students with the opportunity to fulfil their individual potential
· Monitoring and supporting the overall progress and development of students
Activities responsibilities include:
- Organizing and running the extra-curricular activities programme by leading group games, arts and crafts; introducing and enabling students to access new skills
- Accompanying excursions and leading weekend activities
The position will suit someone who is looking for variety in their work, be flexible and able to deal with at times quick changes in circumstances, and the opportunity to take initiative. Candidates should genuinely enjoy working with children, be enthusiastic, energetic, have excellent communication skills and be able to work as part of a team. Accommodation and all meals are provided during term time. Ideally the candidate should hold a full UK driving licence.
5 days and 2 consecutive days off per week
Salary: £12K for a 4 term year (44 weeks) plus an end of contract £1,000 payment as long as the contract has been fulfilled.
All placements are subject to enhanced DBS clearance.
The College is committed to Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.