Qatar Foundation’s Qatar Academy for Science and Technology is a new, STEM-focused high school (Grades 9 to 12; UK Year 10 to 13) and is seeking a highly motivated, creative and skilled Biology and Chemistry teacher to lead the development of a rigorous high quality, hands on biology and chemistry course and lab.
The school is in its first year with students in Grade 9 (UK Year 10) and Grade 10 (UK Year 11). The students are selected from applicants living in Qatar. Each year the school will grow a new grade level and will eventually have a full enrollment of 240 students by the sixth year of operation.
The school will select among the very best STEM students in Qatar and the program will focus on developing knowledgeable, skilled and innovative learners, thinkers, developers and leaders.
The first two years of the program will develop each student’s knowledge base in core content areas, technology, communication and collaborative problem solving. Students will take a comprehensive set of classes that also include an engineering course where coding and practical application of their skills are used to resolve real-world challenges using both traditional and modern prototyping tools.
In the second two years, the school will provide advanced courses in preparation for A-Levels. As part of the school diploma, students will also take English, Arabic, and electives. Students will also move through an internship rotation whereby they learn more about university research and industry operations, and during this time students will pursue areas of research that are interesting to them. During their final year, they will conduct longer internships in their area of interest that will result in an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ). The research project will round out their portfolio of learning, skills and innovative applications in their efforts to address some of Qatar’s Grand Challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study.
- Professional teaching qualification, license and/or certification.
- Minimum 6 years of teaching experience; international education experience preferred.
- Experience developing and implementing STEM programs.
- Experience with the management of Health and Safety in a biology and chemistry lab.
- Knowledge of an internationally recognised Health and Safety framework e.g. COSHE; COSHH; RoSPA etc.
- Excellent time and project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English is essential, and in Arabic would be an advantage.
- Computer proficiency in office applications.
- Postgraduate qualification in any relevant discipline.
- Ability to establish positive relationships with people from various cultural and ethnic backgrounds, and navigate a wide range of cultural norms.
- Enthusiasm, empathy, patience and resilience.
- Dedication and flexibility, including towards working hours and travel.
To design, lead and manage the Qatar Foundation STEM School’s Maker Lab:
- Liaise effectively with the QAST Director, Principal and Teachers.
- Support, implement and help manage the design and procurement of materials for biology and chemistry laboratories.
- Have experience using some of the following curricula and programs:
- Common Core, AERO, NGSS, Duke of Edinburgh and A-Levels curricula.
- Have experience with a wide range of student assessment practices and be able to implement mastery-based rubrics for a range of student’s skills and abilities.
- Have experience with and the ability to conduct a student assessment program such as MAPs, SBAC, MidYIS, Alice, CEM IBE etc.
- Establish and maintain effective relations with regional schools, educational and governmental organizations, and community groups in order to strengthen partnerships and grow the curricular and educational support at the QAST and specifically for the biology and chemistry programs.
- Support and provide guidance to the annual i-STEM conference, leadership conference and activities to support community and service projects, and other events.
- Facilitate partnerships with government and corporate bodies to obtain resources and to build knowledge partnerships.
- Support teacher training for teachers in the QF schools' STEM programs related to Maker tools and Maker Lab methods.
- Communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders and participants: students and teachers from within and without Qatar; regional STEM directors and school leadership; QF leadership, board of governors and management; corporate and other institutional partners.
- Exercise responsibility for Health and Safety in the Maker Space in collaboration with Qatar Foundation HSSE
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are asked to submit a cover letter and CV to the emails below:
Dr. Gregory J. Moncada
Qatar Foundation Schools
and copy to:
Mr. Sam Abrams
Principal – QAST
Qatar Foundation Schools
Candidates will be screened quickly and if selected for interview will be asked to complete a Qatar Foundation Application prior to the interview. Interviews will be conducted via Skype.
Open until filled.
Qatar Foundation Schools reserves the right to appoint a candidate before the application deadline should this prove desirable.
Successful appointment will be subject to satisfactory references and verification of qualifications. The Office of Pre-University Education is committed to safeguarding and the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening including checks with previous employers and national/international disclosure service as appropriate.