Chemistry Learning Mentor
The UCL Academy, Camden
London Borough of Camden
- UCL Academy Pay Scale 4, Spine Point 18 pro rata (actual salary £18,718)
- Job type:
- Full Time, Fixed Term
- Start date:
- Apply by:
- 19 February 2018
This is an exciting opportunity for a graduate with vision and passion to provide an inspirational mentoring service to Chemistry students who require help in overcoming barriers to learning that prevent them from achieving their full potential.
Working closely with the Chemistry teachers, teaching support staff across faculties and under the guidance of Curriculum Leaders, you will learn and develop your own knowledge base and gain first-hand experience in supporting students.
If you have a passion for Science and in particular Chemistry and want to enhance your knowledge, or if you are interested becoming a future secondary teacher this role will prove to be an educational and rewarding experience both personally and professionally.
Proudly rated Good by Ofsted in all 4 categories in June 2016, The UCL Academy is a mixed 11-19 Academy in the heart of the London Borough of Camden. Priding ourselves on high academic aspirations, the Academy is celebrating another exceptionally successful year of A-level results, with our students securing places at some of Britain’s most prestigious universities including our sponsor UCL. Additionally, as expected, our pioneering cohort of students have performed extremely well in the Academy’s first ever set of GCSE exams in 2017; the core subjects students have performed well above national average. Our sponsor University College London provides a range of exciting academic opportunities and exposure to university life for pupils.
- State-of-the-art classroom technology – including Superstudios, subject specialism suites and demonstration theatres for interactive teaching talks by visiting academics from UCL
- Unlimited access to opportunities for self-development
- Intensive weekly Continuing Professional Learning
- A generous health care plan, including reimbursement for optical, dental, physiotherapy and a range of other areas, 24/7 GP access, online healthcare literature, access to trained counsellors and discounted membership at over 2,000 gyms nationwide.
How to Apply
To apply please request an application pack from Faye Harrison on 0207 259 8770. Your application is a direct application to The UCL Academy, Hays is our recruitment partner and manages our permanent appointments.
Closing Date: 4pm on Monday 19th February 2018
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All appointments will be subject to receipt of satisfactory Enhanced DBS check, pre-employment checks and a probation period.
Please note that if you have not heard from the Academy within 2 weeks after the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful.
About The UCL Academy, Camden
- The UCL Academy, Camden
- Adelaide Road, Swiss Cottage, Camden
- NW3 3AQ
- United Kingdom
The UCL Academy is sponsored by UCL, a world-class, multifaculty, research-led university. UCL's vision is an innovative Academy for pupils aged 11 to 18. We are a comprehensive, co-educational, non-denominational, fully inclusive and an active member of the Camden family of schools.
The Academy is an exciting place for young people to learn and develop as individuals. It offers a high quality, broad and balanced curriculum which is appropriate for pupils of all abilities, irrespective of their gender, ethnicity, social background or faith. Most importantly, it provides an environment in which all pupils are supported to achieve their full potential, and to contribute positively to the community in which they live. The Academy strives for excellence in teaching and learning across the curriculum; develop strong specialisms in mathematics, science and, with a focus on modern foreign languages, provide an education which prepares pupils for "global citizenship". Strong links with community, scientific and cultural organisations, as well as with UCL, are particular features of the Academy.
The Academy is co-located with Swiss Cottage Specialist SEN school on a site in Adelaide Road in Swiss Cottage, London. Both are accommodated in new buildings.
ETHOS AND VALUES
We want the UCL Academy to fire the imaginations of its students and to support them to develop in ways which stand them in good stead for their future lives and responsibilities as individuals, employees and citizens.
Key elements of the vision of The UCL Academy are:
· Ensuring that students experience a transformational curriculum and pedagogy;
· Ensuring that the systems, cultures and standards support excellence;
· Contributing to the system as an internationally acclaimed training institution;
· Ensuring that meaningful networks support a coherent learning journey.
The UCL Academy has four key priorities which make up its ethos:
· High academic and personal standards for students and a commitment to developing individual potential
· Specialisms in mathematics and science
· Languages at the heart of the curriculum
· A mission to provide “education for global citizenship‟
The UCL Academy is an exciting, stimulating place to learn, with a curriculum which focuses on problem-solving, skills development and 'real world' issues and ideas. Students have the opportunity to undertake extensive project work, and to participate in community activities as well as internships and international exchanges.
The sponsor is keen that the Academy should support all students to develop responsibility for their learning, ensuring that they continue to be challenged and stimulated by their learning throughout their time at the Academy.
The UCL Academy has a strong focus on community and belonging. Students are members of both a house (the Academy has five) and a mentor group: a small group of students, who meet together regularly and who are 'mentored' by a member of staff. Houses provide a focus for intra-school activities; mentor groups ensure that students build strong support networks, including with their staff mentor to enable them to tackle the challenges young people encounter during their Academy lives.
UCL, as sponsor, provides a comprehensive programme of activities and support to enhance teaching at the UCL Academy. This includes lectures and masterclasses from UCL academics in subjects across the curriculum; visits to UCL; and access to the university's extensive resources, including laboratories and libraries. There is also advice for Key Stage 4 students and Sixth Form students on routes into further and higher education, including support with the higher education entry process from UCL admissions tutors, and contact with UCL students acting as tutors and mentors.
- State-of-the-art classroom technology – including our unique Superstudios, subject specialism suites and demonstration; theatres for interactive teaching talks by visiting academics;
- Unlimited access to opportunities for self-development and intensive weekly Continuing Professional Learning;
- Flexibility in start and finish times, longer holidays and more Academy planning days than normal INSET arrangements;
- A whole school wellbeing strategy and designated Academy Wellbeing Lead;
- An exclusive partnership with UCL where teaching staff have access to unrivalled University libraries and resources and to work within our connected curriculum;
- Suitable IT equipment for all teaching staff;
- A generous health care plan, including reimbursement for optical, dental, physiotherapy and a range of other areas, 24/7 GP access.
- A free Employee Assistance Programme that offers free private counselling, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and discounted membership at over 2,000 gyms nationwide.
- A sheltered bike storage facility for those who wish to cycle to work and a generous Cycle to Work scheme.
Swiss Cottage is a vibrant, dynamic and thriving district in the London borough of Camden. There are assorted shops the length of the Finchley Road and local major hotels include Marriott Regents Park, Danubius Regents Park and Hampstead Britannia Hotel. There is a vast array of restaurants including European, South-East Asian and Japanese cuisine. Swiss Cottage Library, in close proximity of the UCL Academy, is the largest in the borough and has varied facilities including an art gallery as well as extensive seating and study areas. The Swiss Cottage Leisure Centre, adjacent to the UCL Academy, boasts of a fully equipped gym, 25-metre, eight-lane swimming pool as well as a climbing wall, squash courts and outdoor football pitches. The Hampstead Theatre is a well-regarded fringe theatre located opposite the Central School of Speech and Drama that prides itself on developing new writers and playwrights. Swiss Cottage is in close proximity to central London, it is a 10 minutes tube journey to Oxford Street.
South Hampstead (Overground) is an 8 minute walk from the UCL Academy. The UCL Academy is built within a stone’s throw away from the local tube station Swiss Cottage (Jubilee line) and Chalk Farm (Northern line) is an 18 minute walk from the school. Bus routes 13, 31, 46, 82,113,187, 268, 603 and C11 serve the Swiss Cottage area.
Please note that you are wholly responsible for fact checking in respect of the information provided by schools. Please also check for the latest visa and work permit requirements that may apply. Tes is not responsible for the content of advertisements or the policies adopted by advertising schools. Tes asks that all schools follow Tes' Fair Recruitment Policy.