Role profile: Role Profile Level 2
PQE: Not applicable
Working hours: Full-time (Monday to Friday, 09.00am to 5.30pm)
Weightmans is a Top 45 law firm with offices throughout the UK. Having been recognised as the leading legal employer at the annual Britain's Top Employers awards and achieved record rankings in Chambers UK 2017, we are immensely proud of the work we carry out for our clients and the culture we provide to our people.
The Regulatory Department is very diverse, offering a broad range of expert advice to healthcare professionals facing possible criminal and professional regulatory sanctions, Trusts and organisations on issues such as best interest decisions to DPA requests and inquests, as well as organisations and individuals facing Healthy & Safety, criminal and other regulatory prosecutions.
Advising the Governing Body and its Committees of various FE colleges in the North of England on the proper exercise of their powers, including advising the entities on compliance with:
- The Instrument and Articles of Government, other external regularity requirements, and with each College’s own internal rules and regulations.
- The relevant Code of Governance
- Flagging areas of concern to the Education sector lead.
In consultation with the Chair and Principal of each College, planning the forward programme of meetings of the Governing Body and its Committees; identifying the main items to be taken at those meetings and liaising with members of staff or governors preparing papers for forthcoming meetings.
- Summoning meetings and preparing and despatching agenda and papers for Governing Body and Committee meetings.
- Where appropriate, attending all meetings of the Governing Body and its Committees, giving advice on procedure at such meetings and preparing draft minutes of the proceedings.
- Facilitating and contributing to the Governing Body’s self assessments of all aspects of governance, including preparing certain annual review reports.
- Drawing up for approval, and keeping under review Standing Orders for the conduct of business of the College’s Governing Body and its Committees.
- Maintaining a record of the membership of the Governing Bodies, notifying them of any vacancies, making arrangements for staff and student elections, and advising the Governing Bodies on strategies for recruiting governors.
- Acting as a reference point for enquiries relating to the Governing Body and responding to all matters on their behalf.
- Maintaining a Code of Conduct for the Governing Body and a register of the financial and personal interests of governors; and advising governors on declarations of interest.
- Giving administrative and other support to the members of Weightman’s education team across a range of legal disciplines as required.
- Attending Weightman’s business development meetings and contributing to the growth of the business through pro-active excellent client care.
This list is not intended to be exhaustive and you will have other duties and responsibilities that fall within the remit of the role.
The person specification
- Ability to operate independently and effectively with strong client care skill to develop productive working relationships with each client college.
- Ability to monitor performance effectively, setting clear objectives, managing competing priorities, and balancing the different interests and needs of service users.
- Ability to analyse reports and documents to identify arising governance and legal issues.
- A sound understanding of the administration of meetings within the public sector and ensuring that decision are carried out correctly.
- An understanding of the education sector, particularly at FE and HE level is desirable but not essential.
- Ability to communicate effectively both within and outside each college.
- Excellent organisational and administrative skills.
Degree in Business Administration or Law
Level 5 Clerks Certificate
- Any reference to experience or PQE in our adverts or job descriptions is to be used as a guideline only. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and with different levels of experience who can demonstrate that they fulfil the requirements of the role.
- The successful candidate appointed to this role will be subject to our standard background checking process, and any offer of employment made is conditional upon successful completion of those checks. Further details can be obtained from the Recruitment team.
Applicants are to send a cover letter and CV to Sue Baker at Sue.Baker@weightmans.com and to ensure they quote the reference number 1357.