Course Director - Summer School
Thames Valley Summer Schools
- Quick apply
- from £2171 for a minimum 3-week contract
- Job type:
- Full Time, Temporary
- Start date:
- Between 30 June and 3 July (depending on centre)
- Apply by:
- 2 March 2018
Do you want an opportunity to build on/develop your leadership skills in a boarding environment?
Do you want to gain experience with international students?
Do you want to hone your staff management and organisational skills?
For more than 40 years, we've been helping young people from all over the world to improve their spoken English, get a taste of UK culture and gain valuable life experience. To date over 60,000 students have spent the summer with us on one of our high quality, British Council accredited courses! We take great care in choosing our residential centres, which are all based at beautiful and prestigious boarding schools, and we take equal care in choosing the staff we would like to look after these young people. We are now looking for energetic and enthusiastic Course Directors for Summer 2018.
Who You Are
- proven management and organisational skills
- experience of managing young students in a residential environment
- the ability to motivate others as part of a team
- the flexibility to respond to the unexpected
- a sense of humour and enthusiasm
- the ability to command respect from staff and students
- a genuine interest in the welfare of young people
- be in overall charge of the centre to ensure the successful delivery of the course
- ensure all departments are working together to deliver a safe, happy and effective course for the students
- liaise with the host school and represent TVSS
- be supported by and manage a Senior Staff team
- be responsible for centre accounts, transfer arrangements and the staff rota
- be a Designated Safeguarding Officer for the course
What Our Staff Say
“The company are very professional and have high expectations of their staff and students. You feel that you are part of a very supportive team. It is the people who keep me coming back, there is a real camaraderie and we look forward to getting back together year after year. Alison – various centres 2010 - 2017
“The course is extremely well thought-out with the professionalism of the staff delivering a fun and challenging course that always exceeds the expectations of the students. I can’t speak highly enough of the company, they are an extremely good school to work for.” Kate -various centres 2011 - 2017
“Having worked for TVSS for 9 years, the last 5 years at Epsom College and the last 4 as Course Director, I can only say the children, the staff and Epsom College make working for TVSS great fun in the summer. Watching the children adapt to British life whilst maintaining their own cultures is a fantastic experience, one I take back to my full time job as a teacher! 'Busman's holiday', I don't think so” Brian – various centres 2009-2017
Salary and Benefits
- Basic weekly salary from £610 plus 12.12% statutory holiday pay
- Paid preparation days
- Full-board accommodation
- Average six-day week
- Various contract lengths available (from 3-6 weeks)
- Access to high quality facilities at the centres
Course Directors arrive at their centre 3 days prior to students to prepare for the beginning of the course.
There you will find a full job description and our online application form.
If you would like more information or to chat about the role, please call Lisa Bishop on 01753 852 001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We appoint on a rolling basis so early applications are always encouraged. Candidates for our senior positions will have two interviews as part of the appointment process. The first will be a Skype interview. The second would normally be a personal interview held at our Head Office in Windsor.
Please note that due to a large number of applicants we are only able to contact successful candidates. All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK as we do not sponsor work permit visa applications. Thank you for your understanding.
Thames Valley Summer Schools is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. As part of our commitment:
- All references will be followed up
- Referees will be asked specifically if there is any reason why you should not be allowed to work with under 18s
- Any gaps in your employment history will need to be explained satisfactorily
- Proof of identity and qualifications will be required and photocopies of the original certificate will be taken
- All candidates are required to hold or undergo a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and/or provide a Certificate of Good Conduct from their local police (if based overseas)
About Thames Valley Summer Schools
- Thames Valley Summer Schools
- 13 Park Street, Windsor
- SL4 1LU
- United Kingdom
For more than 40 years, we've been helping young people from all over the world to improve their spoken English, get a taste of UK culture and gain valuable life experience. To date over 60,000 students have spent the summer with us on one of our high quality, British Council accredited courses! We take great care in choosing our residential centres, which are all based at beautiful and prestigious boarding schools, and we take equal care in choosing the staff we would like to look after these young people.
A modern approach
All languages are constantly changing and English is no exception. With this in mind, we go to great lengths to make sure that our courses are constantly being updated. To do this, we have a team of language experts with over fifty years' experience between them. Their task is to make sure that students learn the most current form of English, and that it’s learnt in the most stimulating and enjoyable way.
Course material is re-written on average every four years and it includes a TVSS Trinity Student Book that is unique to us. Covering all sorts of up-to-the-minute topics like film, sport, music and technology, it also reinforces what students will be seeing and doing on excursions.
We take enormous care in choosing our centres. For Young Learner residential students, only prestigious boarding schools are considered and we look at everything they have to offer - from their location through to their range of facilities. In addition, our summer schools could hardly be better situated. Whichever centre you choose, you'll find yourself within easy reach of some of England's most historic towns and cities.
- St. George's, Ascot
- Epsom College
- St. John’s, Leatherhead
- Rugby School
In overall charge of each centre is a Course Director, whose job it is to ensure the successful management of the course. The Recreation Director has responsibility for planning and delivering the recreation programme with assistance from specialist recreation staff. The Senior Housemaster/mistress liaises with the Housemasters/mistresses to ensure boarding houses run efficiently. The Director of Studies is responsible for the effective management of the academic programme with assistance from the Senior Teacher.
EFL teachers are appointed on the basis of one teacher per 14 students (one per nine at Rugby). The average combined staff to student ratio is 1 : 5, which includes Recreation Assistants and Specialist Recreation Teachers who are involved in the recreation programme.
We are accredited by the British Council and a member of English UK.
Please note that you are wholly responsible for fact checking in respect of the information provided by schools. Please also check for the latest visa and work permit requirements that may apply. Tes is not responsible for the content of advertisements or the policies adopted by advertising schools. Tes asks that all schools follow Tes' Fair Recruitment Policy.