The Doon School, Dehradun, is seeking a Deputy Headmaster
The Doon School is an all-boys boarding school with 7th grade as an entry level. It has a rich 82 years of history, the mission being:
“ To attract and develop exceptional boys and teachers from all backgrounds to serve a meritocratic India; transform boys into educated men; inspire them to be just and ethical citizens; train them to be wise and principled leaders; and prepare them to enter one of the strongest fraternities for life.”
The core belief being the establishment of an aristocracy of service inspired by the ideals of unselfishness, not one of privilege, wealth or position.
The school has a strength of 545 boys and is spread in 70 acres of pristine campus.
If you have 15+ years of experience in schools, including residential schools, and have a passion for moving education and learning beyond the mundane then this might be the opportunity for you.
In its mission to attract and develop exceptional boys and teachers from all backgrounds to serve a meritocratic India, The Doon School is looking for an exceptional teacher, coach and role model to oversee and develop the day-to-day running of the school.
Working for a team of 70+ dedicated, imaginative and emotionally engaged teachers, you will have the social intelligence and moral credibility to be part of the educational leadership team of what we believe is the most exciting school learning environment in the country.
Your subject area is less important than you capacity to listen, motivate and inspire. You will have experience working with curricula that value skills and process above content and you will know what educational research tells us causes learning. Change and uncertainty should not phase you and you should have let go of the desire to be right a long time ago.
If you think that you have something to contribute and would like to serve the boys, teachers and staff of The Doon School then we look forward to receiving your CV and letter of application, both of which should allow us to see your fit for this challenging and important role.
There are many aspects and responsibilities that come with this important service role, some of the main responsibilities are:
1. To model exceptional moral, academic and personal behaviour and judgment.
2. To be a key collaborator with the Headmaster in achieving the Mission of the School.
3. To be responsible for the smooth day-to-day running of the school, with particular focus on supporting the pastoral care and academic programmes for both pupils and the academic staff.
4. To have oversight of all aspects of pastoral policy and procedure and transaction of curriculum, including ensuring compliance with any statutory or regulatory requirements. Management, supervision and support of all those working within the academic and pastoral care system.
5. To share in the evaluation of teaching candidates and to coordinate all aspects of induction of the masters and the review of new teaching staff.
6. To coordinate the monitoring of teaching and learning, feedback and appraisal of teaching faculty.
7. To coordinate the Summer @ Doon Programme and support the S@D team and partners in their planning and execution.
8. To be responsible for overseeing the travel of staff and students with the transport manager. To monitor the midterm expedition and various trips and seminars.
9. To have oversight of pupil behaviour, including involvement in disciplinary processes, communicating with parents and management and the periodic review of policies and procedures.
10. The coordination of the admissions process and support of the team managing the year round admissions enquiries, the admissions test and the interviews.
11. To deputize for the Headmaster in his absence and to lead any management issue or project delegated by the Headmaster.