BEACON OF LIGHT SCHOOL
DEPUTY PRINCIPAL – QUALITY OF EDUCATION
Employer Beacon of Light School
Salary Leadership Group Pay Range L11-15
Contract type Full Time
Contract term Permanent
Closing date 16.10.19
We are currently seeking to appoint a highly skilled, dynamic and inspirational Deputy Principal with high expectations for all to join us in January 2019. This new role will be key in shaping the ethos, vision and values of our school, with specific focus on Quality of Education. This is a chance for the successful applicant to make a positive impact on our young people, their families, their communities, and their future and we are looking for a talented and hardworking individual who will innovatively lead in developing a strategy for the future potential of the school at all levels.
You will be joining a strong team, recently recognised by Ofsted as being:
“highly focused and know exactly where the school is on its trajectory of improvement. Leaders leave no stone unturned to make sure that pupils get an increasingly good deal.”
Ofsted July 2019
We are creating an environment for personalised educational opportunities, where there are highest expectations for all members of the school community - this appointment is key to embedding these aims and aspirations.
This role covers wide-ranging in responsibilities, but will include leading on quality of education: teaching, learning and assessment, whole school academic quality assurance, leading and managing teaching staff to ensure high standards of education across the curriculum, student data, progress and attainment, staff induction, CPD and timetable
If you are interested at the prospect of working in a vibrant environment where you can make a real impact, and where exciting things are happening, then we welcome an application from you.
The successful applicant will:
• Have successful experience as an inspirational Senior Leader in a school with students of secondary age
• Have the skills to innovate, lead and motivate all stakeholders to build further sustainable success
• Demonstrate an unrelenting passion and commitment for outstanding teaching and learning and providing outstanding opportunities for all
• Be able to work flexibly to meet the demands of the role
• Play a key role in the day to day running of the school and its direction of progress
• Be prepared to go ‘the extra mile’ to ensure every student achieves to the very best of their ability
• Be passionate about the power of education to improve the quality of life and the chances of young people
• Have high expectations of themselves, colleagues and students and the energy and determination to make a difference
If you are ready for a new and exciting challenge, we will offer you:
• A hard working and committed staff team that will support and encourage you
• Dedicated and supportive Trustees
• Ongoing mentoring and coaching from the Principal
• Opportunities to continue your professional development
• Exciting collaborative opportunities with partners, businesses, employers and outside agencies
• The unique chance to shape this role and the direction of the Beacon of Light School from the outset
• Competitive rate of pay
• World-class facilities within the Beacon of Light
There is some flexibility regarding the specific responsibilities of the role depending on the experience, skills and strengths of the successful applicant. It is anticipated that this role will entail no more than a 40% teaching commitment.
Areas of whole school leadership will be tailored and personalised around the successful candidate’s strengths and experience portfolio. We do not have any preference regarding subject specialism.
We are very proud of our open-door policy and all interested applicants are strongly advised to visit the school before applying. We look forward to meeting you on either of the following dates/times:
• Monday 7th October 2019 5pm
• Monday14th October 2019 5pm
Please contact Jackie Smith to confirm your attendance: email@example.com 0191 - 5634789
About the Beacon of Light School
Opened September 2016 within Sunderland AFC Stadium of Light, then moved into purpose-built accommodation from September 2018, the Beacon of Light School is a unique Alternative Provision Free School for young people aged 13-16.
Our curriculum offer provides life-changing opportunities to the 60 students who attend, not only in terms of improved educational outcomes but also in the longer term outcomes of training, work and economic wellbeing.
Students are at the very heart of our school community and we are passionate about embedding strong foundations and values for their future achievement and success. We recognise every student is an individual and celebrate this through personalised, inspiring and authentic learning experiences designed to nurture talent, build character and shape futures.
Offering the highest quality academic and vocational routes, supported by prestigious employers and endorsed by business, we align workplace qualities within a curriculum context. Our students are “work-ready” with a set of futureproofed skills as their ‘employability passport’ – fully prepared for the next exciting stage of life’s learning journey.
By investing in our young people today we will secure the future they deserve – enabling them to learn more, do more and be more.
If you are excited and enthused by this challenge and you think this might be the role for you, please log onto our website for more information: www.beaconschool.org.uk Further details and an application form can be downloaded from this website.
Completed forms should be addressed to:
Mrs Jackie Smith
School Business Manager
Beacon of Light School
Beacon of Light
Or emailed to this address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 16th October 2019
Interview dates: w/b 21st October 2019
Start date: 1st January 2020
As part of the Foundation of Light’s commitment to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, all employees employed within schools are required to undergo an enhanced DBS check. Further details can be found on the Disclosure and Barring Services website https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check
The successful applicant will be subject to satisfactory references and satisfactory clearance by the Disclosure and Barring Service.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. The Foundation of Light welcomes a diverse population of both children and staff and is committed to promoting and developing equality of opportunity in all its functions.