Design Technology Teacher (Resistant Materials & Graphic Products)
N.B. A Head of Department position overseeing Design Technology, Art and ICT may be offered to a suitable candidate.
An Opportunity in Malaysia Awaits You
Tenby Schools Ipoh was established in 1960 by British expatriates who wanted their children to receive high-quality education based on the British system. The school started as an expatriate kindergarten that became an international school, Tenby International School (TIS), Ipoh, which later expanded to include a private Malaysian school, Sekolah Tenby. The school offers a welcoming, inclusive and stimulating environment to work.
The international primary school (Key Stage 1 and 2) follows the International Primary Curriculum (IPC) using a thematic approach in teaching and learning activities. In the international secondary school (Key Stage 3 and 4), the National Curriculum for England, leading to the Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) examination is taught. The Cambridge International A Level Programme is offered in the Sixth Form.
Tenby Schools Ipoh moved to its new campus at Bandar Meru Raya in September 2013 where both the international and local Malaysian curriculum school is encompassed on one campus. It is located on a green 13-acre site with excellent facilities that include an off-site Kindergarten and a Boarding Facility. The School caters for the children of expatriates working and living in Malaysia and for those Malaysian children who qualify to attend an international school. The student population is approximately 1200 (2 4 form entry), comprising approximately 20+ different nationalities. Our teaching staff are mostly Malaysian with some expatriates.
Our approach is individual we strive for every student to stretch themselves beyond their potential and in doing so we reflect our vision of A United World At Peace - Through Education.
We are a centre for Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) and authorised to deliver the International Primary Curriculum (IPC). We are in the process of becoming a CIS member school with a view to progress into joint CIS/WASC accreditation within the next 2 3 years.
Ipoh is the most centrally-located city in Malaysia. It takes less than two hours to travel to Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Pangkor Island, Cameron Highlands and Genting Highlands. The city is surrounded by some of the most impressive limestone hills in South-East Asia.
Known for its rich heritage, with a population of 650,000 people spread over some 650 square kilometres, Ipoh does not have many high rise buildings, with housing development mainly in the suburbs. The population density is therefore low and traffic jams are almost non-existent. Ipoh provides a relaxed and peaceful style of life, relatively free of pollution and the usual stress of city life. However it also provides the essentials of contemporary living with modern shopping malls, good sports facilities and restaurants.
The Role & Expectations
- To uphold the Schools Vision, Mission and Core Values.
- To lead, plan and teach Design Technology across the Secondary section of the School up to IGCSE. The ability to teach A Level would be an advantage.
- To possess excellent knowledge and experience of assessment and tracking to inform student progress, including the use of standardised tests.
- To deliver INSET/training to staff as part of the CPD programme.
- To assist the School with developing greater impact on learning practices.
- To assist the School with raising the profile of the Arts Curriculum Area and develop cross-curricular links.
- To have sound knowledge and practice of the National Curriculum for England, curriculum development and current educational thinking.
- To be able to manage a budget effectively.
- To be an excellent practitioner.
- To be able to lead.
- To be a self-starter.
- To be a team player.
- To contribute to the wider School Community.
- This is a two-year contract with an option to renew at the end. Benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Generous contributions to an Employee Provident Fund (EPF)
- Overseas allowance
- Fee reduction for children of employees
- Medical insurance
- Flight and shipping allowance at the beginning and end of the contract
Initial interviews will be completed through Skype. Final interviews will be carried out face-to-face whenever possible.
How to Apply
Further information and details of other positions are available on our website: www.tenby.edu.my
Interested candidates are invited to send in a letter of application including the reasons for applying to Tenby Schools together with a comprehensive CV, a recent passport-size photograph and contact details of three referees (one of which must be from your current school) to:
Early application is encouraged as we reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date.
Our school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students in our care and expects all applicants to share this commitment. We follow safe recruitment practice and appointments are subject to an interview, satisfactory references and criminal record checks.
(We thank all applicants for their expressed interest. However, only applicants short-listed for an interview will be notified.)