This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate and combines some of the most desirable aspects of working in post-compulsory education. We require for immediate start a well-qualified colleague with experience of secondary/Sixth Form education and university application guidance, including Oxbridge, to join a busy and effective team in giving advice to our international students and their parents about Post 16 pathways (A level and IB), university, higher and further education course choices and career options. The role also entails leading the academic extension provision for students. The candidate must be confident to lead, in conjunction with the team, information sessions and workshops for students on systems such as UCAS and the Common App, international university applications and post-results procedures. Knowledge of the British education system is required and understanding of international applications in North America would be an advantage. The role comprises three main areas, identified below:
· To manage the process of providing specialist advice, counsel and expertise to all students who are applying to Universities from A Levels, the International Baccalaureate and the University Foundation Programme
· To line manage the Higher Education Adviser and oversee administrative tasks related to students’ university applications
· To develop close working relationships with key HEI providers locally and globally
· To work alongside, and in collaboration with, the HE Officers in the other CATS Colleges to ensure heightened outcomes for all students
· To manage the provision of additional counselling of those students who have participated in the Scholars and/or Key Professions Programmes (KPP) to make informed and detailed applications via UCAS, the Common App and other HE applications
· To assist with the CATS Oxbridge Scholarship scheme
· To liaise with HEIs and run the biannual University Fair exclusively for CATS students
· To provide a continuous stream of data to the College Leadership Group (CLG) to allow it to make informed decisions
Key Professions and Scholars
· To co-ordinate, facilitate, manage and, where appropriate, directly deliver relevant parts of the Key Professions Programme (KPP) that provides support to CATS Canterbury students who are aiming for careers in the key professions undergraduate degree courses, currently defined as (but not restricted to) medicine, dentistry, veterinary science, engineering, law and related courses
· To co-ordinate, facilitate, manage and, where appropriate, directly deliver relevant parts of the KPP that provides support specifically to students aiming for Oxbridge, Ivy League and top Russell Group Universities, irrespective of the students' choice undergraduate degree courses
· To act as a focal point for the KPP, directing, through the appropriate Programme Directors and with the College’s Higher Education Adviser, KPP students’ Personal Tutors (PT) in their support of the students’ university application process
· To develop strategically the KPP, Scholars and Medics programmes, ensuring they deliver successfully all aspects of academic extension of the most able students
· To have an overview of the structure and management of UFP, and associated English Language requirements, to enable students to progress to Universities, liaising with the UFP Coordinator at Group Levels
· To contribute to the strategic development of academic provision, in conjunction with the Director of Studies, and report to CLG on academic extension
The Director of Higher Education and Academic Extension will be line managed jointly by the Principal and Director of Studies and serve as a member of the College Leadership Group.
The starting salary will be in the region of £38,000 pa, dependent upon qualifications and experience.
Application forms and further details are available from, and should be returned to, Fiona Clarke, Business Manager, via email email@example.com or (+44) 01227 866540.
Applications must be returned before 12 noon on Friday 2nd March 2018.
Shortlisting and interviews will take place during the week beginning Monday 5th March 2018.