We are looking for an inspirational and talented Director of Learning to lead English and Literacy in our thriving new academy.
Your role will be:
- To be accountable for student progress and development in the faculty area across KS3, KS4 and post 16, including meeting student achievement targets for subject areas which are agreed by the Principal and the Governing Body.
- To ensure high standards of teaching and learning across the subject area through continuously, developing and enhancing the quality of teaching and learning.
- To ensure the provision of an appropriately broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated curriculum for students in the subject area, in accordance with the academy aims and policies, as determined by the Principal and Governing Body.
- To ensure that all school policies and procedures are implemented and applied consistently by all staff in the subject area.
- To ensure the agreed tutor programme is implemented and that tutors are effective in their role.
You will have a wealth of opportunities to develop as a leader with the Harris Federation. We can offer you a range of bespoke courses and qualifications through our Teaching School, including our Aspiring Leaders NPQH for aspiring principals.
Succession planning is a key part of our success as a Federation, and we believe that we are at the forefront of developing the next generation of Leaders. We can help prepare you for your next Senior Leadership challenge, investing in your knowledge and expertise through regular support, coaching and a wide range of professional development and training.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. We are looking for:
- QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree
- At least three years' teaching experience
- Evidence of leading, supporting and managing others
- Successful experience of embedding cross-curricular subjects
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
About Harris Academy Sutton
Harris Academy Sutton opened in September 2018 as a brand new, state-of-the-art 11-18 co-educational academy in the heart of Sutton. With a specialism in Science, the academy collaborates closely with its neighbours on the London Cancer Hub site: the Institute of Cancer Research and the Royal Marsden Hospital. These represent two world-class organisations and together with the new six-form entry academy they form a campus community with research buildings, hospital facilities, and a reputation for excellence in the fields of research and medical provision. The academy offers a broad and balanced curriculum to the young people of Sutton: the Campus itself provides a focal point for talented scientists and clinicians by establishing world class facilities to not only attract top researchers but also to educate the life science workforce of the future. This is a unique opportunity for dynamic, motivated professionals to be part of the team helping to shape what will become the leading science educational establishment in London.
Why work at Harris Academy Sutton?
- The opportunity to be part of the founding team of an academy with the highest of expectations and ambitions for its staff and students
- Unrivalled potential for personal and professional development as the academy grows
- An innovative, inclusive and happy environment in which to teach and learn, promoting academic achievement across the curriculum and encouraging participation in extra- curricular activities
- All the advantages of a highly successful academy group including strong central support, outstanding CPD opportunities through the Harris Teaching School Alliance, and a generous benefits and rewards package
Come and see us in action: visits to Harris Academy Sutton are strongly encouraged and very welcome. Please call 020 8253 7777 or email email@example.com to arrange a time to come in or an informal conversation with the Principal.
As part of the Harris Federation, we can offer you a range of benefits, including:
- A network of fellow senior leaders and Principals with a wealth of knowledge and expertise
- Support and mentoring from some of the best executive leaders in education
- Unrivalled opportunities for leadership progression and preparing you for your first Principalship
- Pension scheme (TPS) and access to our Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan, covering a range of health and wellbeing benefits
- Plus, the opportunity to work with our amazing students!
The Harris Federation
The Harris Federation is the leading large Multi Academy Trust in the country for both primary and secondary education. We have an established reputation in transforming education in London and an unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Harris is a Federation and not a chain; each academy is different, reflecting the particular aspirations and leadership style of its Principal. Our vision is that Harris academies work collaboratively in sharing school improvement strategies, and support one another as part of the wider Harris Federation.
We look for talented leaders who want to help transform education in London, and create exceptional places of learning.
Please note: academies may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. You will still be able to add information until the closing date, but you will not be able to submit your application. With this in mind, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement. Harris Federation is fully committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.