Director of Music (maternity cover)
St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London.
A member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC), St Mary’s Calne is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 365 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
Due to the current Director of Music taking maternity leave, we are looking for a talented and enthusiastic teacher, with excellent inter-personal skills, to lead our outstanding Music Department.
The Music Department is based in a purpose built block which is well equipped with instruments, PCs, up to date teaching resources and a recording studio. In addition to curriculum music, around 75% of pupils take individual instrument or singing lessons and there are currently around 20 Music and Choral Scholars.
Music holds an important place at the heart of St Mary’s Calne featuring prominently in events such as Confirmation, Carol Service and Founders’ Day. The department works to develop individual talents, while seeking to bring the whole community together through music. Each year there is a vigorous programme of concerts and events and a number of collaborations with other prestigious institutions regularly feature.
The Director of Music (maternity cover) will have overall responsibility for the Department to the Headmistress, to the Deputy Head Academic for day to day management and to the Senior Deputy Head for strategic direction and development. He or she will manage four permanent members of staff alongside 17 peripatetic teachers.
What we want from you
• University Graduate in Music
• A well-qualified, experienced and inspiring Music teacher with a track record of success who is able to teach curriculum music from Year 7 to A Level
• The ability to rehearse and direct the Chamber Choir and Orchestra to an exceptional standard
• Willingness to collaborate effectively with other members of staff and Departments
• Excellent communication skills
• Motivation to work with young people
• Positive attitude and approach to change and development
• Willingness to participate in and expectation of contribution to the wider life of a boarding school and extra-curricular life
• The ability to tutor girls and be pastorally aware of their needs
What we offer
• Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school
• Highly motivated girls with lessons taught in small groups
• Competitive salaries and a contributory pension scheme
• Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre
• Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School
• Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time
• Free on-site parking
How to Apply
For an Application Form please visit Vacancies on our website www.stmaryscalne.org
Telephone 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: Midday, Monday 11th November 2019
Interview date: Wednesday 20th November 2019