Learning and Teaching Standards
• Know students and How they Learn
Dehong teachers have insightful and detailed knowledge of the developmental characteristics and learning needs of the children they teach. They have expertise and the desire to meet the wide range of individual learning and wellbeing needs of children who come from Chinese cultural, linguistic and educational backgrounds.
• Plan for and implement effective learning and teaching
Dehong teachers have current knowledge of the curriculum in the age range they teach. They set high expectations and challenging developmental and learning goals for their students and use a variety of effective learning and teaching strategies, resources and digital technology to support their students in achieving these goals. They encourage their students to be innovative, imaginative, creative and critical thinkers who are able to work well with others.
• Assess, provide feedback and report on student learning and progress
Dehong teachers are knowledgeable and effective users of assessment to support learning. They use a range of data measures and assessment strategies to inform their evaluation of students’ progress which enables them to plan for learning, to report accurately and effectively on student progress and to design appropriate intervention and support strategies
• Develop supportive and safe learning environments
Dehong teachers are committed to safeguarding and to promoting the welfare of children and young people. They ensure secure, stimulating and well managed learning environments that promote a sense of safety, support and wellbeing.
• Demonstrate International-mindedness and Global Citizenship
Dehong teachers have an appreciation of their own culture, as well as an openness to the perspectives, beliefs and educational philosophy of China. They respect other cultures, religions and languages. They recognise the importance of developing our students to be ethical Chinese and global citizens.
• Engage Professionally in Learning and with the Community
Dehong teachers participate actively in professional learning and work collaboratively with colleagues to improve their practice. They hold themselves accountable to the highest professional standards in their interactions with colleagues, students and parents.
• Contribute to continuous innovation and to the development of the Dehong curriculum (English medium learning components)
• Work closely with teachers to develop lessons, strategies and materials to ensure that each student makes rapid progress in their confidence and capability in English
• Lead and/or support a minimum of two co-curricular activities
• Attend and participate constructively in staff meetings, sharing best practice in the development of EAL strategies, policies and differentiated materials
• Participate (including preparing students/activities) in assemblies, celebrations and extra-curricular events
• Collaborate with colleagues across Dehong schools and Dulwich College International to share best practices around the network and participate in group-wide events as appropriate
• Support service learning and sustainability practices, events and programmes
• Other teaching and learning related tasks as determined by the Principal