The Sir Robert Woodard Academy, part of the Woodard family of schools, is a dynamic and popular 11–18 academy located between Worthing and Brighton, serving the students of Lancing, Sompting and Shoreham.
Our aim is that every student is known and nurtured and is provided with teaching and learning experiences that allow them to fulfil their potential. We believe that students succeed when the environment is caring and orderly, with teaching that fires the imagination and brings learning to life.
From Easter or September 2020, we are seeking an energetic and enthusiastic Food Technology practitioner with thorough subject knowledge and accomplished practical skills, to join us and the DT department on a permanent, part time basis, to continue to raise achievement. In Food Technology, we seek to develop in our students a sound understanding of food and the important role food plays in a healthy lifestyle. In our state of the art Food Technology classrooms, we not only teach the basic practical cookery skills, but also focus particularly on healthy eating, safety, hygiene, diet and nutrition. Through their study of Food Technology, students are encouraged to be independent learners, creative thinkers and team workers. Teaching is required at KS3 and KS4 only.
SRWA teaching staff benefit from the following:-
• a collaborative approach and strong collegial relationships;
• the opportunity to join and/or benefit from Action Research Groups;
• proven student progress;
• excellent student behaviour;
• an extensive CPD programme tailored to skills and experience;
• strong links with Brighton and Sussex Universities;
• an established STEM group including work with RICARDO Engineering, a world leading company supporting Mathematics at SRWA;
• dedicated staff wellbeing space and 1-1 mental health booster sessions available;
• free use of the Academy’s fitness suite;
• free on site car parking and easy access to local public transport;
• childcare voucher scheme;
• cycle to work scheme.
Quotes from last full Ofsted inspection report, Feb 2018
"Staff morale is high."
"Pupils’ behaviour is good…Pupils come to lessons ready to learn.”
“An atmosphere of mutual trust and respect are strengths of the school.”
A Staff well-being survey commissioned externally in September 2019 for SRWA revealed that:
These were some of the areas Staff considered to be ‘outstanding’:
Opportunity for staff to offer ideas
Opportunities for staff professional development
Support from line managers,
Appreciation of staff achievement/contribution,
Induction of new staff
Students' respect for staff/others.
The Sir Robert Woodard Academy is a lively, fast-paced, passionate, demanding yet rewarding place to work. If you want to work with a team of people who love what they do and are prepared to go the extra mile in order to achieve results, and you want to work near Brighton, with all its rich cultural opportunities, then this may be the place for you.
Students and staff at SRWA are lucky enough to benefit from a purpose built school with outstanding facilities. As well as a reputation for excellent work in STEM we are also known for our superb performing arts offering and are home to the Sussex Bears Basketball Academy which brings superb sporting expertise.
The successful candidate will:-
• demonstrate the skills of a good teacher
• be able to interest, encourage and engage students
• provide appropriate levels of challenge so that all students make good progress
• use methods and resources that enable all students to learn effectively
• use assessment information effectively to plan the next steps in students learning
• make effective use of their time
• secure high standards of behaviour from students
• be able to demonstrate a proven track record of recent and successful class teaching in mixed ability classes of aged 11-18 students.
This is a fantastic opportunity to make a positive difference to the life experiences and achievements of our students.
Early applications are encouraged and we reserve the right to interview and, if necessary, withdraw the advertisement before the closing date, should the right candidate be appointed. Visits to the Academy are welcomed.
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share in this commitment. All posts will be subject to receipt of two satisfactory references and successful applicants will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Check.
The Academy is committed to equality of opportunity. We positively welcome applications from all sections of the community.