About Nord Anglia Education
Nord Anglia Education (NAE) is the world’s leading premium schools organisation, with campuses located across dozens of countries in the Americas, Europe, China, Southeast Asia, India and the Middle East. Together, our schools educate tens of thousands of students from kindergarten through to the end of secondary school. We are driven by one unifying philosophy: we are ambitious for our schools, students, teachers, staff and communities, and we inspire every child who attends an NAE school to achieve more than they ever imagined possible.
Every parent wants the best for their child — so do we. NAE schools deliver high quality, transformational education and ensure excellent academic outcomes by going beyond traditional learning. Our global scale enables us to recruit and retain world-leading teachers and to offer unforgettable experiences through global and regional events, while our engaging learning environments ensure all of our students love coming to school.
Founded in 1972 in the United Kingdom, the name Nord Anglia reflects the company’s beginnings in the north of England. NAE initially offered learning services such as English-as-a-foreign-language classes and grew during the 1980s by opening full-scale nurseries and kindergartens. In 1992, NAE opened its first international school, the British School of Warsaw. In the 2000s, the company began a strategic focus on premium international schools, with rapid growth in Asia, the Americas, China and across Europe and the Middle East. A truly international organisation, NAE now operates premium international schools worldwide. In July 2019, the company relocated its headquarters from Hong Kong to London, enabling even stronger growth in the future.
About British International School of Chicago, South Loop
The highly successful and quickly growing British International School of Chicago, South Loop has established a reputation for excellence in the Chicago market. Leading students to success in the highly-respected International Baccalaureate Diploma, the school’s outstanding teachers prepare students for college and beyond through a robust and rigorous curriculum. The contemporary, learning-driven school is located in the South Loop area of Chicago, serving both American and international families.
Each Nord Anglia Education school is unique in character and designed to meet the needs of its community. We are united by our philosophy, to be ambitious for our students, our people and our family of schools. We believe that being part of our family of 66 schools gives them a special advantage. Working together, we can achieve more than we can individually. Our schools have access to a wide range of resources and support to enhance their success. We also create unique opportunities to benefit our students and people, such as the Global Campus, Nord Anglia University, and our collaborations with The Juilliard School, MIT, UNICEF and King’s College London.
Our global family of schools includes:
- 66 premium schools in 29 countries
- More than 64,000 students
- More than 13,000 teachers and support staff globally
- Total capacity of more than 93,400 school places
We are united by our philosophy, to be ambitious for our students, our people and our family of schools. We believe: there is no limit to what every student can achieve; learning should be personalised to each child; and unique global opportunities enhance every student’s learning experience.
Global academic results for the 2018/19 academic year
International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IBDP)
- This year’s average diploma score across NAE was 10 per cent higher than the global average.
- Our groupwide average IB diploma score was 33 points out of 45, surpassing the 2018 average of 30.
- 34 NAE schools offered the IB diploma this year, with 1269 students sitting the exam.
- More than 130 students across the family of schools achieved more than 40 points out of 45.
- We also had four students achieve the perfect score of 45 (one of whom was a South Loop student).
International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE)
- 50.1 per cent of grades at the equivalent of A*/A (grades 7-9 in the new GCSE framework), compared to 20.6 per cent of students across the UK achieving the same results.
Highlights of our 2019 Parent Survey
Responses surveyed from more than 18,130 Nord Anglia Education parents in 55 NAE schools and in 22 languages.
- 94% of surveyed parents say their child is happy at school.
- 95% say their child feels safe at school.
- 91% say their child is developing independence at school.
- 91% say their child receives a quality education from the school.
- 92% say their child has a good relationship with their teachers.
- 98% of surveyed parents say their first contact with the school was positive and welcoming.
- 95% say they have been accepted into a warm and welcoming community.
- 93% say the school keeps me informed about general school updates.
- 92% say the admissions process was well organised.
- 91% say the school provides a stimulating learning environment.
- 91% say the school lives up to my expectations so far.
About the role
Join our fast-paced international environment, and you will join a highly successful Social Studies team to deliver a Key Stage 3 curriculum with roots in the English National Curriculum as well as IGSCE and International Baccalaureate programmes. You will challenge your students to set ambitious targets for themselves and seek out and implement innovative teaching practices to enhance the student experience and outcomes within your department.
Able to create a classroom culture where there are no limits to what can be achieved, you will have a university degree in your specialist subject, a teaching qualification plus considerable teaching experience and knowledge of the curriculum. Additional experience in Psychology or Business a plus. Receptive to feedback and ready to embrace change, you will be keen to share best practice with colleagues and peers.
A strong ambassador for the school, you will be able to develop new ways to engage students and parents with the wider school and Nord Anglia Education community. Your strong motivation and communication skills will also enable you to create a feeling of energy, excitement and personal investment within the classroom.
As a skilled classroom practitioner, you will have a track record of maximising the progress of all students in your classrooms across a wide range of ages and ability levels.
You will also be able to meet visa-related restrictions for the United States including;
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree
- Current domicile in the UK
- At least two years of teaching experience after successfully completing your NQT year
- Knowledge of the English National Curriculum
When you join a Nord Anglia Education school, you join a global community of more than 13,000 people working together to support our students’ success. We offer you unsurpassed opportunities to innovate and develop best practice across our family, to access extensive professional development, and to gain exceptional experience and career development in our schools. At Nord Anglia, you will have opportunities to progress more, learn more, and collaborate more.
We offer career and development opportunities that come with being part of our global organisation. Nord Anglia University unites our team through a vibrant online platform which harnesses the collective expertise of peers in an exchange of knowledge, ideas and best practice. We also provide extensive online and face-to-face professional development through Nord Anglia University to ensure that our teachers don’t just maintain their skills, they develop at the cutting edge of educational thinking.
Our collaborations with The Juilliard School, MIT, UNICEF and King’s College London, offers our teachers unrivalled access to leading experts in their fields. We also offer selected candidates from our staff worldwide an opportunity to earn their Executive Master’s in International Education in an exclusive collaboration with King’s College London.
Alongside great training and a competitive package, you’ll enjoy the chance to live and work in one of the world’s most vibrant cities.
As a Nord Anglia Education teacher, you enjoy the following benefits:
- A fast-paced, global experience so that you can progress on a global scale
- An enabling environment founded on creativity, challenge and collaboration
- A culture which is fair and consultative
- Unique opportunities to grow professionally and develop your career
The closing date for application is April 10, 2020. First stage interviews will be conducted by Skype.
Start Date: August 10, 2020
At Nord Anglia Education we are committed to providing a world class, safe, happy environment in which children and young people are able to thrive and learn. We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our pupils irrespective of race, ability, religion, gender or culture.
All post holders in regulated activity (having regular unsupervised contact with children) are subject to appropriate national and international vetting procedures including satisfactory criminal record checks from both your country of residence/birth and any country of residence within the last 10 years.