Established in 2004 and licensed by the Vietnamese Government, Vietnam Australia International School (VAS) is a private school group with the national education system offering K-12 education programmes. At present, VAS is offering educational services to more than 6,300 students from K through 12 at 7 campuses in Ho Chi Minh City.
VAS has successfully implemented the two study pathways for its students, including: (1) the National Education Programme combined with the Cambridge Academic Programme (CAP) and (2) the National Education Programme combined with the Cambridge English Programme (CEP). Both study pathways are benchmarked with internationally and nationally recognized qualifications/certifications and carefully designed to suit students in Vietnam.
VAS welcomes interests and application from qualified experienced and enthusiastic teachers to share our vision.
Vietnam Australia International School (VAS), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam is looking for Secondary Global Perspectives cum Business Studies Department Head with at least 2 years (full academic year) experience in the same position at an international or bilingual school; Cambridge International Curriculum experience is preferred. Candidates should come from a professional background of Bachelor degree or higher in education, or a relevant teaching subject, along with a valid teaching license.
Reporting to Director of Studies, Secondary Global Perspectives cum Business Studies Department Head is in charge of the followings:
1. General Responsibilities
- Co-ordinates and oversees the teaching and learning activities of the designated department to ensure adherence to achievement of the curriculum’s objectives across all VAS’ secondary campuses;
- Is responsible for the efficient and consistent administration of the designated department in such matters as updating schemes of work; recording pupils’ progress; writing assessments and reports; and other similar duties;
- Supervises the performance of all the designated subject teachers and ensures they meet the expected performance indicators;
- Monitors the work progress and other departmental matters and provides feedback accordingly to the Academic Senior Leadership Team;
- Advises and brain storms with the Senior Academic Leadership Team about the department organization; staffing and resourcing needs; the deployment of staff; staff training needs; department procedures and policies; new developments in the Department;
- Takes an active role in the promotion of good teaching practices and professional development activities for self and teachers throughout VAS’ Secondary campuses.
Teaching and learning
- Teach 25% of the total working load
- Leads the subject staff in the teaching of the subject, and provides a role model for high quality teaching and learning in the subject
- Keeps abreast of new developments in content and teaching style, including use of new technologies
- Monitors and evaluates the Department’s specification and schemes of work
- Engages all subject staff in the creation, consistent implementation and improvement of the schemes of work
- Ensures that all subject staff follow the agreed syllabus/specification
- Ensures that examinations or other suitable methods of assessment are devised and applied at appropriate times. To ensure that all tests, examinations and assessments are based on the Department's specification and marked according to the school’s and CIE’s standards
- Initiates and, where appropriate, organizes curricular, extra-curricular and educational enhancement activities related to the subject
- Provides regular feedback and coaching to all subject staff on teaching and learning which recognizes good practice and supports their progress
- Monitors and evaluates the teaching and learning offered by the subject staff, and takes appropriate action to improve further the quality of teaching and learning
- Provides quality assurance monitoring and intervention with all subject staff
- Monitors progress and evaluates the effects of any improvement strategies on teaching and learning by working alongside subject staff, analysing work and outcomes
- Assists the Senior Academic Leadership Team in the regular review of the standards of leadership, teaching and learning in the subject area.
- Acts as a substitute teacher as and when needed
- Take an active role in designing and developing appropriate extra-curriculum activities for students
- Ensures that all teaching members under his/her care are aware of school policies and guidelines on matters such as homework, assessment, production and use of materials, students disciplinary
- Ensures that new teachers are inducted into their work at the school and are familiar with all policies
- Designs and conducts in-house professional development programmes/courses for teachers in the Department
- Undertakes the performance appraisal of all teachers in the Department, following the agreed school-wide policy and KPIs (key performance indicators)
- Plays a mentor role to teachers and undertakes staff disciplinary measures / grievances where appropriate
- Participates in the selection and recruitment of teachers of the Department
- Plans and conducts Department meetings as and when necessary.
4. Curriculum improvement & development
- Updates all the subject syllabus changes and executes appreciate plans to train / support teachers in the delivery of the updated curriculum; Observes teachers and makes recommendations on changes that could increase teacher and student performance
- Continually evaluates existing teaching approaches and practices in the Department to identify and resolve issues/problems timely and effectively
- Encourages and initiates continued improvement in curriculum and teaching methods of the entire school in cooperation with other SDHs, giving help and guidance where appropriate
- Attends/ chairs staff meetings, parents/teacher meetings, school trips/sporting events, as requested by the School
- Attends meetings or other functions outside of school hours as needed;
- Attends professional conferences, seminars, and workshops and delivers presentations / talks as per required by the School;
- Undertakes other tasks as and when assigned by the Immediate Superior and/or the Academic Senior Leadership Team.
Benefits package includes competitive salary, monthly housing allowance, responsibility allowance, medical insurance, paid school holidays, tuition exemption for up to two children, flight reimbursement, visa reimbursement, and settling-in allowance. Initial contract is two year starting on August, 2017.
E-mail your CV directly to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a relevant position in the subject line providing a full resume, cover letter, scans of all relevant documents/certifications, references (3+) and passport.