Graduate Pastoral Tutors (1 year contracts) .
The GPT is responsible to the Deputy Head (Pastoral). The GPT is line-managed by the relevant Houseparents with regard to House duties, by the relevant Head of Department with regard to their academic role, and to the Assistant Head (Co-curricular) with regard to Period 7 activities.
• To assist with boarding duties.
• To reside overnight in the Boarding House from 11.00pm during term time on required nights unless a separate arrangement has been made with the Houseparents.
• To cover the Boarding House as required on Saturday mornings.
• To accompany or take up to 4 weekend trips per term.
• To assist in the ceremonial aspects of the school. (eg. assist with Parade Sundays.)
• To inform staff about any relevant or confidential pupil issues.
• To accompany a pupil to a medical appointment when a Houseparent is unavailable.
• To contribute to the domestic operation of the House.
• To collect mail, answer the telephone and to relay messages as and when appropriate.
• To use the House Diary in accordance with House procedure.
• To assist in the organisation and preparation of House teams for Inter House competitions.
• Act as academic mentor in House.
• To have a KS3 Form (Tutor) group
• To assist in the organisation and running of the department, and be available to accompany school trips. In addition, a requirement to assist with cover for staff absences in the academic department.
• Provide teaching and learning support in lessons.
• Provide administrative support in the preparation and delivery of lessons.
• Plan and deliver activities which support learning in lessons.
• Work with small groups/individuals within lessons.
• Provide intervention for groups/students in lessons and outside of lessons.
• Support with extra-curricular activity.
• Support with practical examinations.
• Support with administrative tasks to support extra-curricular activity.
REMUNERATION AND HOURS PER WEEK
Monday through to Sunday as follows;
• Up to 22 hours per week, one weekday covering Houseparents and any 8 hour period (in addition to Saturday morning school) at the weekend to be agreed in advance by the Houseparents and Deputy Head (Pastoral).
• Pastoral Tutors must be resident overnight Monday through to Thursday inclusive, except on the night of their ‘whole day-off’ (see Time Off below).
Additional days on duty;
• To supervise the house for an additional 10 days (including overnight) during the year at the direction of the Deputy Head (Pastoral). These days will either be exeat weekends or at the beginning or end of holidays when the house would otherwise be closed to boarders. The principal purpose is to facilitate sporting or other events that boarders wish to take part in, such as pre-season training and Easter revision clinics. Notice of these dates will be provided at least one-term in advance.
• Attendance at Annual and Guildford Cathedral Memorial Service.
Monday through to Friday as follows;
• Cover supervision as required (in either the curriculum or in house) 4 periods out of 6 on 4 days out of the 5 (to take into account one whole day off per week).
• When not on cover, 4 periods out of 6 on 4 days out of the 5 assisting in a specified department
• 3 Period Seven (extra-curricular) out of 5 (to take into account one whole day off per week).
• Saturday morning school. Both midweek and Saturday school may include travel to away fixtures or events on days when not working in the House afterwards as part of standard remuneration for the role.
- One whole day off per week agreed with Houseparents (Monday through to Friday).
- Weekends between Saturday 12.00pm and the next working weekday from 7.00am, with the exception of one 8-hour period at the weekend to be agreed in advance by the Houseparents and Deputy Head (Pastoral).
Person Specification Skills
• Enthusiastic, friendly, and committed to the personal, social and academic development of young people.
• Able to work well as part of a team, with good communication and interpersonal skills.
• A high level of organisational skills and ability to work to deadlines.
• A pro-active person who anticipates and initiates.
Qualifications and Experience
• University graduate
• Holder of a full current driving licence Gordon’s School is a State Boarding and Day
School and is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment – applicants must be willing to undergo appropriate screening including a DBS check.