Role Overview: As part of a team of teachers and coaches, you will provide coaching predominately in Cricket, Football and Rugby during the school’s Games programme and during after-school practice sessions. You may also assist with the selection of school teams as well as supporting and officiating at the fixtures. The majority of this work will be with pupils in the 11 - 18 Senior School, but with a small proportion involving 7 - 10 year old pupils from our Prep School. You will report to the Director of Sport.
• Plan and deliver Cricket, Football or Rugby sessions to a high level in term time to boys aged 7 – 18 including after-school practices.
• Assist in the selection, administration and organisation of school teams. • Support, attend and officiate at fixtures, by mutual agreement with the Director of Sport, including Saturday mornings when required.
• Assist other colleagues to enhance the Games provision at Birkdale School.
Person Specification: Knowledge, skills and experience
• Be enthusiastic, flexible, punctual and well organised.
• Hold at least one coaching qualification in relevant sports (Cricket, Football & Rugby).
• Present an ability to work collaboratively and supportively with colleagues within Birkdale School and with colleagues in other organisations.
• Relate effectively to and communicate well with parents.
• Display commitment to the protection and safeguarding of children and young people.
• Work within organisational procedures and meet the required standards for the role.
• Be committed to continual personal and professional development and be reflective and able to learn from experiences.
• Show resilience and demonstrate an ability to work well under pressure.
• Have aspirations to teach PE or progress along a coaching pathway.
• Have referee experience/qualifications in relevant sports.
• Hold a relevant and up to date knowledge of coaching techniques and rules of relevant sports.
• Demonstrate successful experience of coaching Cricket, Football and Rugby with boys aged between 7 and 18.
Salary and Terms and Conditions
The appointment is from September 2018, and initially for a period of one year. There may in the future, subject to mutual agreement, be scope to extend the period of employment. The appointment is term-time only (35.2 weeks). To fit with the school Games timetable weekly hours (which includes a half-hour unpaid lunch break) would be:
• Monday 10.30 am – 5.30 pm
• Tuesday 1.30 pm – 3.50 pm
• Wednesday 12.30 pm – 5.30 pm
• Thursday 10.30 am – 5.30 pm
• Friday 10.30 am – 3.50 pm
A further compulsory commitment will be required on Saturdays to cover fixtures. The exact number of Saturday hours will vary, subject to the fixtures schedule, and whether an individual fixture is at home or away.
Salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience. It will be based on the Birkdale School Non-Teaching Scale, the exact point to be discussed at interview. The pro-rata remuneration for Monday to Friday core hours, assuming the pattern described above, would be 53.93% of a full time salary. This would attract a pro-rata salary of £11,121 - £13,437 p.a. + o.t (Full time equivalent £20,622-£24,917). The hours worked on a Saturday will be remunerated at an equivalent hourly rate.