Head / Lead Teacher of Biology
For September 2018
Salary: MPS/UPS + TLR2B (£4441 per annum)
Closing Date: Tuesday 20 February 2018
Interviews: Friday 23 February 2018
2017 saw record results across the board and we are now proud to be comfortably the highest attaining school in the locality with 64% of Year 11 gaining the equivalent of 5 A*-C including English and Maths.
This has strengthened our position on our journey to becoming an outstanding school.
Science at Huxlow has a rich history of success. Results are strong with approximately half the cohort opting to study triple Science. In 2017 84% of students gained A*-C in Biology, 82% in Chemistry and 74% in Physics. Science is popular at A Level with a 100% pass rate and an average A Level grade B.
Our vision for the school is to deliver outstanding education to our students, not only in terms of academic success, but by ensuring we develop the “whole child”. In order to enjoy a successful adult life it is important that our students develop characteristics such as leadership, organisation, resilience, initiative, and communication.
If you are an experienced and effective Teacher of Science looking for your next promoted post, this is an excellent opportunity. We will commit to improving your pedagogy and you will enjoy working in a school where the students are hugely positive and keen to learn.
We know that to realise our vision we need to attract, develop and reward our people. We are an ‘Investor in People’, and are committed to the professional development and career progression of our employees.
The successful candidate will:
- Improve as a teacher through our tailored professional development programme (we run weekly training sessions that all staff have access to in addition to bespoke individual development)
- Have opportunities for promotion (in a relatively small College new opportunities for leadership and personal development frequently arise)
- Be supported by a performance management system that rewards excellence
- Have access to national ground-breaking Science CPD
The essential qualities for the Head/ Lead Teacher of Biology include:
- A qualified and effective classroom practitioner with experience of teaching KS3 & KS4
- A commitment to, and a passion for, the teaching and Leading of Science with a particular emphasis on Biology
- A commitment to developing their own pedagogy and that of others
- A commitment to meeting all the requirements for safeguarding children
- Effective organisation and communication skills
- A commitment to Inclusion
If you have any questions regarding the vacancy or would like to visit the College to meet the staff and pupils, please contact Karen Squires (HR Manager) on 01933 650496 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date Tuesday 20 February 2018
Interview Friday 23 February 2018
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and welcome applications from all members of the community.
Huxlow Science College is committed to safeguarding & promoting the welfare of children & young people and expects all staff & volunteers to share this commitment. DBS, Reference, Identity, Criminal Record and Medical Checks are essential for all posts at the College.