Federation of Cherry Oak School, Victoria School and Victoria College
Based at Victoria College, Bell Hill, Northfield, B31 1LD, Birmingham, West Midlands,
- Victoria College provides a post-school programme for students aged 19-25 with profound and multiple learning disabilities (PMLD), physical disabilities and complex medical and health needs as well as cognition and learning difficulties. With capacity for 30-40 students, it currently caters for 22 pupils from Birmingham and beyond.
- The College is in a hard federation with Cherry Oak Primary special school in Selly Oak, rated Outstanding by Ofsted in 2014, and Victoria special school in Northfield, rated Outstanding by Ofsted in 2017. We work in partnership with Bournville College and Birmingham’s Adult Education Service. Our co-location with 3 other schools on the Bell Hill campus and being part of a supportive federation brings us many opportunities to share best practice and work collaboratively.
- We are currently moving towards becoming an Independent Specialist Provider. We expect to attain this status in time for the enrolment of new students in 2018. Therefore, the relationships with the Federation, Bournville College and Adult Education are under review to establish a model of provision that will take the College forward beyond September 2018.
- The Federation’s mission is ‘working together for success’. Our vision is to ‘increase every individual pupil’s knowledge and understanding of the world so that their full potential may be achieved.’
- The Board of Governors is seeking to appoint an inspirational AHT to lead the College through this transition period and beyond. The successful candidate will be supported by the Senior Leadership Team of the Federation.
The successful candidate will:
- Model outstanding classroom practice for students with PMLD.
- Provide inspirational and supportive leadership to the team of teachers and support staff.
- Have strong management skills to manage the College budget, staff team, accreditation and compliance in challenging times.
- Have an in-depth understanding of how to support young adults with PMLD.
- Demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Have a track record of leading whole school/department initiatives.
- Motivate and support colleagues and work collaboratively across the Federation and with other professionals.
Our popular College offers:
- A happy and caring community that always puts young people first.
- A highly motivated staff team who are committed to getting the very best outcomes for our students.
- Excellent opportunities to further develop your leadership skills and career pathway.
- A commitment to continuing professional development.
- A strong and supportive Governing Body.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for the right person to lead teaching and learning and CPD as Head of College. If you are ready for a new and exciting challenge, you are encouraged to visit prior to submission of your application. Do you have what it takes to be part of our Senior Leadership Team? If the answer is yes, and you wish to discover more details about this exciting opportunity, please request an information pack and application form from Tyra Brasnell (Administrative Assistant HR & Finance) by phone on 0121 476 9478 or email
Please contact Karen Hodgetts, Senior College Secretary, to arrange an informal visit to College by phoning 0121 477 0274 or email
Closing Date: Friday 22 September 2017 at 9am
Interviews: Friday 29 September 2017
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment. The successful applicant will require an enhanced disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service