Head of Department - English
Astrea Academy Sheffield
- Job type:
- Full Time, Permanent
- Start date:
- September 2018
- Apply by:
- 19 February 2018
Position: Head of Department - English
Salary Range: £ Competitive
Contract Type: Permanent, Full-time
Reporting to: Principal, Astrea Academy Sheffield
Location: Burngreave, Sheffield, South Yorkshire
In September 2018 Astrea Academy Sheffield will open its doors. Astrea Academy Sheffield will be the Astrea Academy Trust’s first all-through academy which will embody our vision for an education that truly ‘inspires beyond measure’, whilst representing a beacon at the heart of a part of the city undergoing significant regeneration.
The school will grow with its community and will reach capacity within four years of opening. When all year groups are filled, the school will accommodate the education and personal development of 1370 pupils right through from Nursery to Sixth Form.
If you are motivated by contributing to a culture of constant improvement, and if you are seeking to improve outcomes for young people in a brand new purpose build academy that you will help to shape, then we would love to hear from you. You will play a vital role in the early stages and growth of Astrea Academy Sheffield and will be able to put an indelible stamp on its approach to enhancing the life chances of all students.
The Head of English will be an integral leader in the academy and embody a passion for all-through education. The successful candidate will ensure that the highest standards of learning, development and achievement for students throughout the academy. This will be achieved through the clear and effective leadership of the department. The successful candidate will also be an outstanding classroom practitioner.
Astrea Academy Trust is committed to high quality professional development and career opportunities for all staff, we are also passionate about cultivating our own talented workforce. At Astrea we believe that we can provide these unique roles by providing a huge opportunity to join a dynamic team working across the entire organisation. To complement the intrinsic rewards which we award to our teachers and to demonstrate our commitment to them, in September 2017 the Astrea Academy Trust awarded all teaching staff a 2% pay increase which was above the recommended increase of 1% from the School Teachers Review Body.
We foster a collaborative culture where talented individuals can produce their best work. We welcome all applicants who meet the criteria in the accompanying recruitment pack to apply for this exciting role via the application process. To find out more about the role please contact Vicki Russell, Recruitment Officer at email@example.com
Closing date: 19th February 2018
Interview Dates: 7th March 2018
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people we expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Posts are subject to enhanced DBS checks.
For more information please visit the Astrea Academy Trust website
About Astrea Academy Sheffield
- Astrea Academy Sheffield
- Andover Street, Burngreave, Sheffield
- South Yorkshire
- S3 9EJ
- United Kingdom
Do you want to be part of a strong team where you will help make a lasting impact on the life chances of the young people of Burngreave?
Our vision is to provide an exceptional, knowledge-rich educational experience, which ensures that all scholars succeed. We are looking to recruit brilliant staff who share that vision and who understand the moral imperative that we have to serve our community.
What we offer:
- Hilarious, wonderful and caring young people
- A brand new sixth form, opening in September 2023
- A strong & established Early Years Provision, including an on-site Nursery
- Huge support and progression opportunities
- A knowledge rich curriculum, built on ‘powerful knowledge’ and a traditional T&L approach built around Rosenshine and TLAC
- Stimulating conversations about curriculum & pedagogy
- Collaborative planning with centralised, shared units of work and resources
- An obsession with reading
- A feedback policy focused on whole class feedback – no onerous marking policies
- Disruption-free learning and a ‘warm/strict’ behaviour system
- Highly visible/supportive senior leaders who have your back
- In the secondary phase, a centralised behaviour, sanctions and detention (you do not need to organise/chase them at all)
- No formal graded lesson observations – just ongoing ‘no-stakes’ instructional coaching, helping you to continuously develop
- Excellent ongoing CPD, career development and promotion opportunities across Astrea
- Opportunity to complete NPQs
- Fabulous food, cooked by our in-house chef
What we are looking for:
- Hard working professionals with excellent subject knowledge in their areas of expertise
- People who lead with their heart and do whatever it takes to ensure the life chances of our scholars are maximised
- Someone who passionately believes that all children can achieve, no matter what their starting point, background or needs. Someone that does not make excuses for what children can achieve
- Someone who is totally aligned with our vision and values. If you are the type of person who fits with our culture, you will love working here.
We actively welcome visits and would be delighted to show you around our Academy, so you can fully appreciate our excellent learning environment. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit to either of our phases.
Visit our Twitter Pages
Astrea Academy Trust
We are a part of Astrea Academy Trust, a thriving family of 27 academies committed to inspiring our pupils beyond measure. Using our collective expertise, strengths and networks, we aspire to become one of the leading multi-academy Trusts for early years, primary, secondary, sixth form, and special needs throughout South Yorkshire and Cambridgeshire.
Astrea Academy Sheffield is an All-Through Academy for children from 2-18.
Full details can be found here
Emma Glover | Co-Principal - Secondary Phase & Sixth Form
Rachel Flemming | Co-Principal - Primary Phase
Please note that you are wholly responsible for fact checking in respect of the information provided by schools. Please also check for the latest visa and work permit requirements that may apply. Tes is not responsible for the content of advertisements or the policies adopted by advertising schools. Tes asks that all schools follow Tes' Fair Recruitment Policy.