We are seeking to appoint a strong and innovative specialist to take on the position of Head of EAL in the Primary section of our international school. This is an excellent opportunity to join our Student Support Team. The Head of EAL will be responsible for leading and managing provision for learners with English as an additional language, with the aim of promoting the effective support and development of students and teachers in our learning community. This will include building on the school’s existing vision of high-quality classroom-based support, ensuring that students with language needs are supported through high-quality intervention, and developing strong systems for review to ensure continuous improvements in learning and teaching. This is an exciting opportunity for a transformational leader with a strong interest in motivating and empowering others to meet student needs in the classroom.
About St Julian's School
- We are a well-resourced, successful, non-selective British international school with a reputation for academic excellence, founded in 1932.
- We currently welcome approximately 1,200 pupils of 52 different nationalities. Our students have been described as "outstanding representatives and ambassadors of the St Julian's School spirit: open, caring, curious" (CIS & NEASC Team Visit Report, November 2018).
- The IBO recently noted “promoting international-mindedness” as a particular strength of our school (IBO DP Evaluation Report, August 2019).
- At St Julian's, we believe in holistic education and expect our teachers to make active contributions to the pastoral and extra-curricular life of the school.
- "The teachers and staff enjoy one of the warmest and most supportive professional climates imaginable." (CIS & NEASC Team Visit Report, November 2018).
- We have been accredited by CIS (Council of International Schools) and NEASC (New England Association of Schools and Colleges) since 1998, we are a Member of COBIS and our Head of School is an International Member of HMC (Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference).
- We value skills-based learning along with meeting the rigorous requirements of the English National Curriculum, International GCSEs and IB Diploma. We seek to constantly improve the provision for learning.
- St Julian's provides a 1:1 iPad programme for students in KS3 and all students bring their own laptop in KS4 and 5; we use Google Apps for Education as a learning platform.
The successful candidate must:
- Be a passionate, creative and committed teacher
- Have a proven track record of outstanding practice
- Have a growth-mindset, looking to continually improve
- Have a strong learning-focused philosophy
- Have strong interpersonal skills and be a real team player
- Be a strong transformational leader in addition to having strong transactional leadership skills
- Be a reflective, flexible practitioner with the ability to think creatively and take risks
- Embrace innovation and lead educational change
- Be able to engage, motivate, and support children, colleagues and parents
- Be able to demonstrate strong intercultural sensitivity and skills
- Bring a balanced set of personal and professional goals
- Enjoy and contribute to a professionally stimulating environment
- Have a good sense of humour
- Have an ability to use ICT to support student learning
- Demonstrate an excellent command of English language
We will provide:
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- An initial contract of two years with extension possible
- Ongoing Professional Development
- A professionally stimulating and collaborative working environment
Closing date for applications is Wednesday 14th April. Interviews will take place via Zoom throughout the month of April.
Early applications are strongly encouraged and we reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date.
St Julian’s School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. As such, all offers of employment are subject to a criminal record check (DBS or equivalent).
St. Julian's School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- All-through with sixth form
- Students of mixed gender, age 3 - 18 years
St Julian’s School is a private co-educational not-for-profit school founded in 1932 with a strong record of academic achievement and extra-curricular activity. Located on a beautiful site in Carcavelos, between central Lisbon and Casc...