Head of History
Location: South Manchester
Required January 2019.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Head of History to lead our existing History team.
The History Department currently consists of two full-time members of staff (including the Head of Department) and two part-time teachers.
As in all subjects at Withington, excellent examination results are achieved in a dynamic, stimulating learning environment where highly able pupils are taught by inspiring, talented, forward-thinking staff. The Department believes strongly in enrichment and extension and our lessons go beyond the requirements of the National Curriculum; in all our teaching, we aim to build confidence, independence, a love of the subject and everything which it embodies.
Teamwork plays an important role within the Department: we strive to enhance the quality of teaching and learning by sharing good practice, resources and ideas. A warm and supportive atmosphere that makes our work both fun and rewarding balances the dedication, diligence and high expectations shared by the Department, the girls and the School.
We are looking for someone to lead the team who is passionate about History and can convey interest and enthusiasm for the subject throughout the School. The pupils currently sit AQA GCSE at the end of Year 11 and AQA A Level at the end of Year 13. In terms of extra-curricular involvement, we have consistently offered at least one trip per year to each of Years 7-9. We have also organised trips to France, Russia, China and the USA in recent years.
We can offer you:
· The opportunity to join our outstanding school where public examination results consistently place Withington amongst the top twenty schools in the UK, as the best Independent School in the North West and in the top twelve in the country for university placements at the most prestigious UK universities.
· Keen, committed and very able students who are positive and active learners.
· A highly diverse environment where pupils come from a wide geographical area in and around Manchester and from many different social, cultural and religious backgrounds.
· Colleagues eager to share passion and enthusiasm for their subject and an environment where the relationship between pupils and staff is a particular strength.
· A warm and friendly school where teachers are given professional respect to develop their teaching methodologies.
· A school which, by following the concepts of Respect for Self, Respect for Others and Responsibility for Personal Actions, has little need for formal rules.
· Excellent facilities, including the latest resources to support learning.
What you can offer us:
· A capable and highly enthusiastic teacher with excellent subject knowledge and a passion for History, and the desire to lead the Department.
· The ability to teach History to highly able pupils across KS2, KS3, GCSE level, and A Level.
· The willingness and ability to use a variety of teaching methods to suit pupils’ individual learning needs, selecting appropriate learning resources and embracing the use of new technology.
· Commitment to contribute to extra-curricular events and activities in the department.
· The ability to work well both independently and as a member of our team.
The successful applicant will be subject to appropriate child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Closing date for applications: 15th June 2018
Interview details to be confirmed in due course.
Please visit our school website www.wgs.org to find out more about our school and this exciting opportunity.