This is a key role for the school. You would be responsible for building on our current developments relating to the use of ICT within the classroom, line managing our network manager as well as being Head of the ICT department.
We seek applications from enthusiastic, hardworking, experienced and talented teachers wishing to take on a significant leadership and management position and seeking to develop their teaching career in an international setting.
You would teach and be responsible for ICT and Computer Science in the Senior School as well as working with our Deputy Head of ICT who oversees ICT in Primary. We follow the National Curriculum in KS3, IGCSE in KS4 and A-level in KS5. Currently we make extensive use of Google Classroom and a range of Google apps. We have 5 computer rooms as well as sets of laptops. A number of staff make use of BYOD. We use ISAMS for our administration system.
You would be joining a very supportive committed group of teachers with a mix of young and more experienced teachers.
The British School, Alexandria (NOR 520) is a long established, high achieving and forward thinking 3-18 International School known for its family atmosphere. We have recently had a BSO inspection in which we were described as a “Good school with many outstanding features”. We enjoy an excellent reputation both within Alexandria and further afield. We are an accredited member of the Council of British International Schools (COBIS) as well as British Schools in the Middle East (BSME). We are committed to ensuring excellent learning and teaching in a caring environment. You will find the school a rewarding and friendly place to work with good relationships between staff and students. We have a strong commitment to the professional development of all our staff.
Alexandria is a bustling, friendly and cosmopolitan city on the Mediterranean full of historical interest. Life for teachers is enjoyable with a relatively low cost of living and a sufficiently good infrastructure, shops, cafes and restaurants to lead a European lifestyle. Most teachers are able to save at least 60% of their salary and at the same time enjoy exploring Egypt. Although in the past Egypt has appeared in the media, you will find that living in Alexandria is in reality similar to living in any other big city with no particular security issues and a strong and stable government.
Honours degree in ICT/Computer Science from a UK university or similar
2 years’ experience of teaching ICT at Secondary level including A-level.
Qualified Teacher Status / PGCE
Experience of teaching in the British Education system either in the UK or in British international schools
Satisfactory Police / DBS (formerly CRB) checks
A British citizen who has been educated in Britain and so has personal experience of the British education system.
Terms and Conditions /Advantages
• Very good tax free salary
• Free furnished quality accommodation (excluding utility bills) with sole occupancy within walking distance of the school (minimum 2 bedroom furnished apartment for single teachers and 3 bedroom family accommodation for families) in a very pleasant suburb of Alexandria.
• Annual return flights to the UK for teacher, spouse and dependants
• Beginning and end of contract baggage allowance
• 2 free school places for dependent children (50% for a third child)
• Free health insurance for teacher, spouse and dependants
• 2 or 3 year initial international school teacher contract
• Small class sizes (typically 15 students in a class)
• Highly motivated students who want to learn
• Forward looking British independent international school at the heart of the community with a family atmosphere
• Excellent professional development together with opportunities to take on responsibility
• British international accredited (COBIS and BSME) not-for-profit school for children aged 3-18
• Vibrant north African Egyptian city with excellent opportunities for travel
If you would be interested in joining us then please visit our website www.bsalex.net for further details and to download an application form. Please email the completed application form together with a brief letter of application, of no more than two sides of A4, to firstname.lastname@example.org and a copy to Principal@bsalex.net.
The initial closing date is Monday 25th March 2019 at 9am (UK time-GMT). In the case of receiving an exceptionally strong application prior to the closing date, we reserve the right to appoint earlier.
If you have any questions or would like any further details, please do not hesitate to contact myself by email at Principal@bsalex.net .
Single teachers or married couples (with or without children) are welcome to apply.
The British School, Alexandria is committed to all aspects of safeguarding.