It is an exciting time to join this supportive team who are passionate about inclusion in a mainstream setting. We are seeking to appoint a well-qualified and visionary Head of Learning Support who will take the lead and further develop this crucial element of our educational provision across the Secondary school. The successful candidate will demonstrate a track record of improving progress and achievement in a Secondary setting, working collaboratively with students, parents and teachers to achieve this. The successful candidate will deliver and support the team in delivering interventions that may include individual and small group work as well as in-class support, co teaching with subject teachers to support students accessing the curriculum and reaching their personal potential.
GIS is a well-resourced successful international school with great facilities and a reputation for academic excellence; we place the success of each and every student at the centre of our mission. GIS is a family, and with our fantastic students, dedicated and motivated team of excellent teachers and support staff, it truly is a wonderful place to learn and teach.
At GIS, we know that every student requires more than academic ability to succeed in today’s global economy, and with that in mind, we offer an incredible pastoral support system, an extensive range of extra-curricular activities and strongly adhere to a skills-based approach to learning that supports and underpins our success in meeting the rigorous academic requirements of International GCSEs and A-Levels.
The school is focused on creating the best environments for our learners to grow and develop academically, emotionally, physically and socially. With a positive and progressive outlook, based on the latest research, we seek to constantly improve the provision for learning. With over 75 hours dedicated to teacher CPD every year, as well as a keen focus on staff and student well-being, we are constantly striving for excellence, both as practitioners and for our learners. GIS uses the latest technology to enhance learning and provide a 1:1 device programme and use Google Apps for Education as our main learning platform.
Successful candidate must have:
- Experience of the testing procedures for Learning Support needs and examination access arrangements
- A proven track record of outstanding practice with a strong learning-focused philosophy
- A growth-mindset looking to continually improve
- Be able to engage, motivate and support students, staff and parents
- Be a reflective, flexible practitioner with the ability to think creatively and take risks
- The knowledge and skills to review Learning Support documents and IEPs in order to personalise and support learning and establish support in the classroom
- Have the interpersonal skills needed to work alongside classroom teachers to develop appropriate programmes of learning and provide adequate differentiation for individual students
- Experience and knowledge of speech and language development and Autistic Spectrum Disorders within the mainstream setting would be desirable
- An understanding of sensory integration difficulties would also be an advantage
We will provide:
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- Ongoing Professional Development
- A professionally stimulating and collaborative working environment
We recommend early application as we reserve the right to appoint prior to the closing date.
Closing date for applications is the 30th of December 2017. Interviews will take place in London in January 2018.
Please review the ‘GIS Information for Applicants 2018-19’ booklet prior to applying for this role.
Garden International School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. As such, all offers of employment are subject to a criminal record check (DBS or equivalent).