Are you passionate about helping pupils develop as learners in a highly supportive and academically ambitious school environment? If so, we would love to hear from you. Downside is an independent, co-educational boarding and day school for pupils aged 11 to 18, and one of England’s oldest and most distinguished Catholic schools.
We are situated at the foot of the Mendip Hills, twelve miles south of the city of Bath.
You will be an existing Head of Learning Support or SENCO, or a specialist and suitably qualified teacher looking to progress to a Head of Department role.
Teaching will include a combination of 1:1 support and leading small groups of pupils with a range of learning difficulties. The Head of Learning Support also needs to maintain effective communication with subject teachers.
In addition, the Head of Learning Support is responsible for all matters pertaining to EAA (Examination Access Arrangements). You will also manage a team of Learning Support Teachers and build relationships with external coaches such as a Speech & Language Therapist.
Our latest ISI inspection report states that ‘the quality of pupils’ achievement and learning is excellent’ and ‘the quality of teaching is excellent overall’. The successful candidate should possess the drive and determination to enthuse all pupils to reach the highest standards.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has demonstrable experience of teaching in the area of Learning Support.
- Has a specialism and experience in supporting Pupils with literacy difficulties some of whom will also have SEND.
- Teacher with a SpLD qualification at least at PG Certificate level.
- Has an ability to raise the achievement of our Pupils alongside their subject Teachers.
- Inspires and motivates pupils to strive for the best.
- Has excellent behaviour management and the ability to quickly build rapport with Pupils.
- Embraces our Benedictine, Catholic ethos.
We can offer:
- A salary above the national scale.
- A supportive, skilled and innovative staff team.
- An inspiring, intellectually rewarding work environment.
- Plenty of opportunities for CPD, and pastoral and co-curricular involvement
Closing date for applications: Monday 26th February 2018, by 10am
Interviews will be held: Wednesday 7th March 2018
To Apply: Please complete a TES application form by clicking the 'Apply Now' button below.
Please contact the recruitment email address (email@example.com) if you require further information after reading the application pack.
Downside School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening, including checks with past employers and the DBS. We are an equal opportunities employer. By car, we are within 40 minutes of Bristol, 30 minutes of Bath and 15 minutes of Wells. Registered Charity Number: 1158507