Required from September 2018 : Head of Science Department
This is a permanent full-time position
Salary : Main Teaching Scale + TLR 1b (Provisional pendingTLR review)
Closing Date for applications : Friday May 18th 2018
Start Date : 1st September 2018
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and highly motivated Teacher of Science to lead an already effective department. The successful candidate will be an outstanding teacher who will lead the department by example to achieve its ambitious targets. The department currently delivers a variety of courses at keystages 4 and 5, including GCSE Science, Triple Award Science and A level Chemistry, Physics and Biology.
Successful candidates must:
- Be teacher of Science with consistently ‘Good’ or ‘Outstanding’ classroom practice
- A passionate advocate of the subject who contributes effectively to departmental and whole school improvement.
- Able to teach across the full age and ability range at age 11-18, including A-level.
- Able and willing to make a full contribution to the life of the school.
- Have high expectations of themselves and others
- Be a good communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Be flexible and a good team player
The Science Department is a focal point for Ysgol Aberconwy; a place where students have the opportunity to excel. For the last three years the department has achieved rates at higher than national average levels on a range of measures, including A-C grades. The department offers a double GCSE option as well as a triple award option to those who select it. Our most recent results show our GCSE pass rate was 62%, with 29% of our triple award entries being awarded A/A* grades.
It is an exciting time to join Ysgol Aberconwy, a mixed 11-to-18 comprehensive school of 800 pupils. Set in its own extensive new campus on the banks of the beautiful River Conwy, the school is situated in the medieval town of Conwy on the North Wales coast adjacent to the Snowdonia National Park. Ysgol Aberconwy’s proximity to the main A55 trunk road provides easy accessibility throughout North Wales, Cheshire and Wirral. The school is exceptionally well resourced with all teachers having access to personal technology, as well as an ICT suite for their curriculum area.
The diversity of the school community ensures that the school is a vibrant and interesting place to work. We offer :
- A well established and comprehensive mentor programme
- A strong personalised programme of professional development and coaching for teachers and support staff
- Strong links with other local schools for partnership working and support
- A strong community spirit
- Staff who are very supportive towards each other.