Head of Science
St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 365 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
St Mary’s Calne is looking for a talented and enthusiastic teacher, with outstanding inter-personal skills, to lead our unique and enriching knowledge-led Science Department. We are searching for a teacher who has the belief in the ability of all students to succeed in Science and who can take pupils on a journey from basic scientific ability to becoming flourishing young scientists.
Holders of the Platinum Science Mark, the St Mary’s Calne Science Department comprises four Biologists, three Chemists, three Physicists, one Psychologist and two sport Science specialists. We are well supported by three Science Technicians and deliver lessons in our five well-equipped laboratories. We look at diversity in our Orchard and plans are currently being drawn up for a state of the art new STEM centre.
A strong emphasis is placed on opportunities outside the scope of the curriculum, with both staff and students taking part in a wide range of trips, expeditions, societies and clubs.
What we want from you
• University Graduate in a scientific discipline
• Qualified teacher with an ability to teach one of the Sciences to A Level and to Oxbridge level
• Excellent communication skills
• Motivation to work with young people
• Positive attitude and approach to change and development
• Willingness to participate in and expectation of contribution to the wider life of a boarding school and extra-curricular life
• The ability to tutor girls and be pastorally aware of their needs
• The ability to teach Biology, Chemistry and Physics to GCSE (desirable)
What we offer
• Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school
• Highly motivated girls with lessons taught in small groups
• Competitive salaries and a contributory pension scheme
• Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Centre
• Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School
• Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time
• Free on-site parking
How to Apply
For an Application Form please visit Vacancies on our w ebsite www.stmaryscalne.org
Telephone 01249 857200 (Karen Turner) Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Midday, Wednesday 24th April 2019