The International Education Agency (IEA) PNG was established in 1975 and operates 20 schools across Papua New Guinea. All schools deliver the IEA curriculum to grade 8, PNG curriculum or IGSCE for grades 9 & 10, PNG curriculum or ACT curriculum (Australia) for grades 11 & 12.
Lae International School is staffed predominantly by local teachers who provide a caring educational environment for both PNG and international pupils who come from a range of backgrounds.
Lae is the second largest city in PNG and is the major port city, with around 100 000 people. With its significant yearly rainfall it is a very green and lush location. A flight to the capital city, Port Moresby, takes 45mins.
The population density is low and traffic jams are non-existent. Lae provides a relaxed and peaceful lifestyle, free of pollution and the usual stress of city life. However it also provides the essentials of contemporary living with a variety shops, sports facilities and restaurants. The Lae Yacht Club, Golf Club and International Hotel are popular venues.
Lae International School was created in 2018 as result of the merging of the 2 IEA schools in Lae. We have a current enrolment of 600, ranging from Early Years, Primary, Middle School, Secondary and Boarding facilities. We also have a TAFE College at the secondary campus.
We are looking to appoint a dynamic and experienced Head of Secondary.
The successful candidate will be an outstanding leader and teacher who will:
• Provide leadership in curriculum planning, development, monitoring, evaluation and assessment
• Create conditions which ensure that the school is focused on effective teaching and learning according to the standards, principles and practices of the IEA
• Promote the development of academic achievement, through data analysis and early interventions to support students’ learning
• Provide leadership in the development and implementation of academic policies and practices that are consistent with the school’s academic goals and values
• Promote a culture of life-long learning among staff and students
• Encourage strong student and staff relations
• Be an excellent leader and strong team player
• Have a good working demeanour and sense of humour.
Experience with the one or more of the following will be a distinct advantage:
• Middle Schooling (grades 7 and 8) project based learning
• The integration of a variety of TAFE certificates integrated within grades 11 and 12, eg: Hospitality, Early Childhood Education and Care, Information, Digital Media, and Technology
• Teacher development and ongoing PD
• Boarding facilities for secondary students.
This is a two-year contract with an option to renew at the end. Benefits include:
• Competitive salary
• Generous contributions to EOE fund
• Overseas allowance (for non-citizen appointments)
• School fee allowances for dependent children.
• Medical insurance
• Leave flights
• Vehicle use allowance
• Furnished accommodation
• Utilities allowance
• Flight and shipping allowance at the beginning and end of the contract.
Applicants should hold a relevant degree and teaching qualification and have experience in a variety of international school settings. They should have a good record of successful leadership with a proven track record in raising standards of achievement.
- Your CV must include: your contact details and work history. You must clearly indicate any current or previous employment with the IEA, or in PNG.
- A letter of application/personal statement explaining your suitability for the position of Head of Secondary should be submitted.
- Contact details including the email addresses for three professional referees must be supplied.
- Also include a recent professional photograph.
Please only submit the documents listed as only applications that contain the above details will be considered.
It should be noted that rigorous referee checking and child protect clearances will be conducted as part of the employment process.
Applications must be made via WW.W.TES.CO.UK
For more information about Lae International School, please contact the Principal’s PA on +675 7434 1824.
The IEA reserves the right to vary the closing and start dates depending on the level of interest in the position. Early application is therefore encouraged.
Due to the usually high number of applications only shortlisted candidates will be further contacted.