Surbiton High School seeks an enthusiastic and outstanding Head of Spanish (with the ability to teach French or German would be advantageous), who is passionate about inspiring, encouraging and empowering our pupils to achieve their very best.
Surbiton High School is a friendly and vibrant community where people matter, results count and where a passion for excellence drives everything we do. Our inspirational staff are dedicated to creating an intellectually rigorous and challenging academic environment, making Surbiton High School a place where a passion and energy abound, a school with a real heart and soul, where we look beyond the A* to offer a breadth of opportunity which allows every pupil and staff member to flourish.
- Lead by example - model outstanding teaching and learning, this includes teaching up to 13.5 periods a week.
- Monitor the quality of teaching and learning through regular observations of Department staff, work scrutiny and pupil feedback.
- Coach and support members of the Department to quality assure skill/knowledge base along with willingness to improve/develop is high.
- Track and monitor pupil progress and achievement within the subject area across all Key Stages using baseline data.
- Review, analyse and evaluate results throughout the year and for the examination analysis and subject review meetings, sharing the process with the Department so that all are aware of the development points.
- Work collaboratively with the Department for continuous self-improvement of Curricular Schemes of Work.
- Ensure that pupils are advised on university courses and maintain subject links with relevant industries, careers and higher education.
- Keep abreast of, and communicate to the Department, changes in policies, guidelines and other national initiatives.
- Ensure compliance with requirements for exam entries and arrangements.
- Working collectively as a team, identifying suitable co-curricular activities that enrich the curriculum and broaden the pupil learning experience.
- Engage in on-going personal and professional development in order to provide high quality and innovative educational leadership.
- Create alignment with the School’s values and ethos to ensure Departmental ownership of whole school strategic development.
- Promote the School’s ethos of May Love Always Lead Us and the Best in Everyone.
- Promote the School and its training courses and activities, including participation in external and internal marketing activities.
- Uphold the good reputation of the School and of United Learning with pupils, parents, and other stakeholders.
- Advise SLT on staffing requirements, the deployment of Department staff (including technical support staff) and the timetabling of courses, classes and rooms.
- Ensure effective Department communication, both informally and through regular Departmental meetings.
- Lead the Department in the Performance Management and Professional Development of staff, appraising subject staff as agreed with the SLT.
- Monitor, review and promote subject staff development (including their own) and the induction of new colleagues, coordinating mentoring, training and support for all colleagues as appropriate.
- Ensure that both subject-specific and general requirements of Health and Safety policies are met.
The successful candidate will be likely to fit the following profile:
- Good Honours degree
- A postgraduate teaching qualification (QTS desirable but not essential)
- Evidence of further relevant professional development
- The ability to lead, inspire, motivate and support pupils and colleagues
- To deliver inspiring lessons at KS3, GCSE and A-level in
- Have a vision for and the ability to translate the Surbiton High School strategy into reality
- The ability to work in a leadership team in a successful and dynamic school
- Excellent organisational, administrative and ICT skills
- A proven track record of delivering on academic performance
- Evidence of successful, inspiring and innovative teaching at all levels
- Experience of leading and collaborating with colleagues
- Up-to-date knowledge of successful and innovative teaching and the latest curriculum developments and initiatives
- High levels of personal and professional integrity and the ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality
- Personal warmth to gain the confidence of pupils, staff and parents
- High standards of personal presence and presentation and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate concisely and sensitively, both orally and in writing, to a variety of audiences
- An enthusiastic team player with strong leadership qualities
- A reflective and flexible approach and the ability to think creatively and imaginatively
- High expectations for pupil attainment, personal development and conduct
Surbiton High School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, and applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Please note that the School reserves the right to appoint at any stage during the recruitment process.
For any queries relating to the role or your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply online by clicking on the following:
Closing date for Applications: 12:00pm, 21 January 2019
Interviews to be held week commencing: 28 January 2019
Where support is better shared
United Learning comprises: UCST (Registered in England No: 2780748. Charity No. 1016538) and ULT (Registered in England No. 4439859. An Exempt Charity). Companies limited by guarantee. VAT number 834 8515 12. Registered address: United Learning, Worldwide House, Thorpe Wood, Peterborough, PE3 6SB.