Summer Fields is one of the premier boys’ prep and pre-prep schools in the country, situated in 70 acres of superb grounds in North Oxford. The school has an excellent academic reputation and is extremely well resourced.
We seek an outstanding full time teacher of Theology, Philosophy and Religion (TPR) to lead the department in teaching the subject as a discrete entity from Year 5 through to Year 8. The successful candidate will develop schemes of work to inspire a passion for the subject and develop the understanding and knowledge of all pupils in the transition from Key Stage 2 to Key Stage 3. Whilst the role will not involve teaching TPR to pupils in Year 4 and below, the Head of TPR will support the development of curriculum links with Humanities and topic-based learning in the Pre-prep (Reception to Year 3) and in Year 4. The successful applicant will lead the department in preparing pupils to sit the Common Entrance TPR examination at the end of Year 8 or senior school scholarship examinations (as appropriate).
In addition to facilitating a happy, stimulating environment in TPR lessons - and requiring high expectations of both effort and attainment – the successful applicant will play a full and active part in the pastoral life of the school; contribute to the daily games programme in which all boys are active; and participate in the daily activities and duties which are an important characteristic of life in a flourishing boarding school.
The successful candidate will have;
- A passion for – and a strong understanding of - teaching Theology, Philosophy or Religion at this age. It is not essential for the candidate to have previous experience of teaching the TPR Common Entrance syllabus but a background in one or more of the three disciplines it constitutes would be advantageous.
- A strong understanding of teaching pedagogy.
- The ability to play a full role as part of a wider team (both within the department and across the school).
- A desire to participate fully in the pastoral and sporting spheres which are characteristic of a boys-only school.
- A willingness to contribute to boarding life.
The successful candidate may already be familiar with the requirements of the Common Entrance TPR syllabus but this is not required. The role is suitable for a teacher with experience of teaching seeking professional development.
Please apply by submitting the following:
- A fully completed application form, including full details of your employment history.
- A cover letter addressed to Mr David Faber, Headmaster.
- If you have a CV you wish to send, please do so, however an application form must still be provided.
Applications should either be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to Summer Fields, Mayfield Road, Oxford, OX2 7EN.
Full details are available on our website: www.summerfields.com or from the HR Manager on 01865 459238.
The closing date for applications is 25th May 2021.
Summer Fields is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Summer Fields School
- Mainstream school with independent funding
- Primary School
- Boys school with students of age 4 - 13 years