We are looking for an inspirational and talented Pastoral Lead or our first intake of Year 7 students. As a Head of Year, you will provide outstanding pastoral care and ensure that each student is supported, well cared for and makes outstanding academic progress. You will lead a year group concentrating on pastoral issues, attendance and welfare. You will ensure that you help support an Academy that has the building of student character and welfare at its heart.
Harris Academy Sutton will open in September 2018 as a brand new, state-of-the-art 11-18 co-educational academy in the heart of Sutton. With a Specialism in Science, the Academy will collaborate closely with its neighbours on the London Cancer Hub site: the Institute of Cancer Research and the Royal Marsden Hospital. These represent two world-class organisations and together with the new six-form entry Academy they will form a campus community with research buildings, hospital facilities, and a reputation for excellence in the fields of research and medical provision. The Academy will offer a broad and balanced curriculum to the young people of Sutton: the Campus itself will provide a focal point for talented scientists and clinicians by establishing world class facilities to not only attract top researchers but also to educate the life science workforce of the future.
This is a unique opportunity for dynamic, motivated professionals to be part of the team helping to shape what will become the leading science educational establishment in London.
In managing student transition from year 6 to 7 you will help establish for our students from day one what it means to be part of such an exciting and forward-thinking community and the role that they will play in developing the ethos of the Academy as it grows in its first years.
A well-qualified specialist holding QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant undergraduate degree, you will have the ability to teach from KS3 to KS5. You will need to be a creative and flexible team member with presence and authority. You will be able to inspire colleagues and students alike through your delivery of consistently outstanding lessons. You will need to lead and manage the work of a team of tutors and help develop and implement the effective pastoral care and behaviour management of your year group.
- To oversee the behaviour, learning, attendance and progress of the students in one year group.
- To manage student transition between Year 6 and 7
- To ensure effective parental engagement and communication.
- To implement effective cross year group initiatives as the academy grows.
- To lead a team to achieve agreed goals
- To manage and lead effective staff training
- To act as part of the Academy safeguarding team
- To communicate clearly to a range of different audiences
- To display high quality teaching strategies
- To support and motivate both colleagues and students
- To relate and positively show respect to all members of school and wider community, especially parents
- To contribute effectively to the work of the leadership team
- To deal successfully with situations that may include conflict resolution
- To demonstrate a commitment to education for equality
- To promote the school’s ethos, commitments and aims
- To have an understanding of professional self-development
This is a rare and unique opportunity to be part of a new school from the very start. The Academy will open in temporary accommodation in September 2018 and move into its new £40 million building in September 2019.
Why work at Harris Academy Sutton?
- The opportunity to be part of the founding team of an Academy with the highest of expectations and ambitions for its staff and students
- Unrivalled potential for personal and professional development as the Academy grows
- An innovative, inclusive and happy environment in which to teach and learn, promoting academic achievement across the curriculum and encouraging participation in extra- curricular activities
- All the advantages of a highly successful Academy group including strong central support, outstanding CPD opportunities through the Harris Teaching School Alliance, and a generous benefits and rewards package
For more information, or to arrange a confidential discussion with the Principal, James Fisher, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement.