Harris Academy Bermondsey is currently looking to appoint a qualified teacher to join its thriving team as Head of Year. The successful candidate will lead the Academy Pastoral Hub, including all elements of Pastoral Care, taking a highly visible role in leading on the vision and ethos for students in the year group, in line with the Academy’s values of compassion, ambition and respect.
Main Areas of Responsibility
- Ensuring high standards of behaviour of girls in the given Year Group, identifying areas for improvement of their behaviour and leading the improvement of their behaviour.
- All pastoral care for one Year Group, including responsibility for the direct work undertaken by Form Tutors.
- Acting as the first point-of-contact for girls and their families regarding their attendance, behaviour, personal development and welfare.
- Undertaking investigations and responding to Duty Principal requests for girls in the given Year Group.
- Liaising with other leaders, including (among others) the whole school lead for Personal Development, Literacy and Numeracy, Careers and E-Safety, Enrichment and Healthy Schools, Safeguarding and Inclusion to ensure a rich programme of personal development, behaviour and welfare education.
- Liaising with other leaders on pastoral and behaviour matters pertaining to girls in the given Year Group.
- Identifying and supporting a caseload of girls from the given Year Group through the design and implementation of appropriate interventions.
In line with the Government’s announcement, our academy is closed until further notice. However, during this period it is our intention to continue with critical recruitment for key positions starting in September 2020. In place of academy interviews, alternative options will be offered so that no one is at a disadvantage, and applicants should expect telephone or virtual interviews, with the possibility of onsite academy interviews only in special cases. We want to reassure applicants that effective measures have been implemented to ensure their health and wellbeing whilst on academy premises.
Thank you for your cooperation during this difficult time.
What we are looking for
We look for talented individuals who want to be a part of transforming education in London, and helping create exceptional places of learning. We would like to hear from you if you have:
- QTS (or equivalent) and a relevant degree
- A passion for education and making a difference
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- The ability to motivate others to high expectations
- Energy, enthusiasm and a good sense of humour.
Please download the job pack for a full job description and person specification.
About Harris Academy Bermondsey:
Harris Academy Bermondsey is a girls' school in the heart of London with drive and ambition. Ofsted rates us as Outstanding in every category, and we are passionate about making a difference to the lives of our young women, ensuring that they have every opportunity to succeed by identifying and nurturing each one's individual talents. Our uncompromising but caring approach to education has put us as one of the highest performing schools nationally for student progress and has led to GCSE results that are above the national average.
Why work at Harris Academy Bermondsey?
- An ‘Outstanding’ school, where you will join a very strong team of well qualified teaching and support staff
- A smart, welcoming environment in which to teach and learn
- A vibrant central London location, easily accessible by Underground and mainline rail services
- All the advantages of a successful academy group, including a strong central team of support, teaching and leadership staff
- Generous Harris rewards and benefits package
As part of the Harris Federation, we can offer you a range of benefits, including:
- Access to a diverse network of phase and subject specialist groups
- Support and mentoring from some of the best leaders in education
- An Inner London Harris Allowance, plus a performance and loyalty bonus
- Pension scheme (TPS) and access to our Harris Wellbeing Cash Plan, covering a range of health and wellbeing benefits
- The opportunity to work with our amazing students!
Click here for a full list of Harris benefits.
The Harris Federation
Harris Federation stands as the leading large Multi Academy Trust for both primary and secondary education in Greater London. Holding a reputation for bringing transformative approaches to education, we hold a unrivalled track record in achieving success through rapid school improvement.
Paramount to what we do is closing the gap between young people from disadvantaged backgrounds and their peers. Social mobility has always been a core mission of the Harris Federation. Within this, we have continuously transformed standards in schools that had, in some cases, failed for generations before joining the Harris Federation. We are committed to ensuring that every child in London has access to the best possible education in order to nurture their individual potential.
Every child in London deserves the best possible education. Join us in creating spaces of learning where children everywhere are nurtured for their potential and given the tools necessary to shape their own future.
We look for talented teachers who are passionate about their subject and making a difference. You can help us transform education in London, and create exceptional places of learning.
Please note: academies may hold interviews as and when applications are received, and this job may be withdrawn at any point without notice. You will still be able to add information until the closing date, but you will not be able to submit your application. With this in mind, you are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
Harris academies are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. All offers of employment are subject to an Enhanced DBS check, and where applicable, a prohibition from teaching check will be completed for all applicants. In line with our commitments to safeguarding, the Harris Federation uses preferred agencies and is unable to work with any agencies where Terms of Business have not been agreed by both parties prior to an engagement. Harris Federation is fully committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education. Click here to view our full equality and diversity statement.