We are seeking to recruit a dynamic and innovative pastoral leader to join our school in a newly created Head of Year role. The successful candidate should have awareness and understanding of current issues in leading students learning, proven leadership skills and pastoral experience with secondary school students as this role will have overall responsibility for the academic, social and emotional wellbeing of all boys in that year group. The Head of Year will lead a team of tutors to ensure that all boys in the year group are supported by an effective pastoral system and understand the school’s high expectations so that respect, courtesy and scholastic excellence permeate all aspects of the school.
Forest Hill is a popular 11-19 school which exists to serve the local community through innovative teaching and a broad and comprehensive curriculum offer including a strong focus on the Performing Arts. Our joint Sixth Form - SFH6 - consistently achieves higher than national grades and has been judged to be ‘good’ by Ofsted (Dec 2017). The leadership of the school has resulted in the school being “well-placed to move forward” (Ofsted Dec 2017) and we are committed to improving the educational outcomes of young people. We are a community school where “pupils are cared for well” and “are helped to overcome social and personal challenges.” (Ofsted Dec 2017)
Our ideal candidate is;
• An innovative and experienced individual who is able to lead the tutor team, ensuring quality pastoral care and academic monitoring through the development and training of tutors in the year group.
• Someone who has excellent communication, organisational skills and is able to form good working relationships with students, colleagues and families
• Someone who can generate a team ethos of high expectations and lead on school matters involving their year group.
• Someone who has experience of supervising secondary school students and is able to bring an extra-curricular activity or learning opportunity.
We will offer;
• The opportunity to work in an established and experienced Performing Arts school which challenges the stereotypes of underachieving boys
• A personalised CPD programme that offers a range of opportunities to broaden your pedagogical experience and which seeks to support you in developing yourself for future leadership roles
• Modern, state of the art facilities, including the technology and resources to support excellent teaching of all the subjects in the Faculty
Please visit our website at www.foresthill.lewisham.sch.uk to make direct on-line applications, which must be returned to email@example.com Note - we do not accept CVs and applications must be submitted on the Lewisham Teacher Application Form, available from the school website.
Candidates are encouraged to visit the school before applying and should be arranged with the Heads PA, Pat Brutto– please contact the school on 020 8699 9343
Closing date for applications is 12 noon on Wednesday 19th June 2019 with interviews scheduled for the following week. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Forest Hill School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974) and is subject to an Enhanced CRB Disclosure.
Equal Opportunities Statement
Forest Hill School is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all members of the community, regardless of gender, age, marital status, disability, ethnicity, religion, belief or sexual orientation.