Avenor College is recruiting for High School Coordinator - Head of High School
We need someone now who can commit to our vision of ‘creating the future’ and our distinctive learning culture. This role is an opportunity to create a real legacy: a high school that is successful not just in terms of examination results but in meeting our wider aspirations. If you believe this is a challenge for you, we look forward to receiving your application.
The High School Coordinator/Head of High School fulfils the mission of Avenor College by shaping the future direction of the section (14-19 age range and IGCSE/A level), inspiring students and teachers towards exceptional outcomes.
The High School Coordinator reports to and is evaluated by the Director of Learning, and is a member of the school’s Learning Leadership Team.
Main areas of responsibility of the High School Coordinator:
Leading the High School
Manage all aspects of the High School related to teaching and learning:
- curriculum development (including co-curricular);
- line management responsibility for faculty;
- preparation for accreditation requirements;
- staff recruitment and retention;
- professional development, performance management;
- university counselling
- Place the holistic well-being of all students first;
- Meet the high expectations we have of you in Romania, with enthusiasm and tenacity;
- Support and model a positive approach to student behaviour management;
- Coach teachers towards outstanding practice.
- Be an active member of the school’s Learning Leadership Team, representing the High School’s interests and requirements as appropriate.
- The post comes with a small teaching responsibility (up to 10 lessons) preferably at A-level standard.
Events and Partnerships
- Work with other members of the Learning Leadership Team to represent the school with a range of external organizations, locally and internationally;
In order to fulfil this role, the successful candidate should have QTS or equivalent, and be an experienced, outstanding teacher with a deep understanding of the UK National Curriculum and/or A level systems, ideally with CIE. In addition, the candidate will have:
- Excellent leadership, management and communication skills demonstrable through present and previous roles, including in at least one international school outside UK;
- A higher education degree with a further postgraduate degree an advantage;
- Demonstrable leadership experience in high level pre-university programmes, such as IGCSE, A levels, IBDP. Previous success in international school management, as Head of School or Deputy Head of School.
- Knowledge and understanding of the learning process and experience of coaching teachers towards outstanding practice;
- A well-developed educational philosophy based on sound and well researched principles.
- Successful experience in different multicultural environments; interpersonal/inter-cultural sensitivity and an enthusiasm for embracing the Romanian culture.
- Aptitude in the use of technology in an educational setting, combined with a demonstrated support of technology integration across the curriculum;
- English language ability to near-native standard, and the ability to inspire confidence through presentational skills;
- People oriented – building positive relationships; good team player and good team builder; excellent listener; fair and consistent;
- Positive outlook – in all respects a good role model who will lead by example;
- A high level of cultural sensitivity and the ability to treat all staff/students/parents equitably regardless of nationality or background;
- Capacity for hard work; organized and prepared; a high degree of resilience;
- Healthy lifestyle;
- Interest and constant practice for own personal development;
- Constant learner.
The Terms and Conditions
The remuneration package will be commensurate with the responsibilities of the position and will include the following:
- Competitive salary and benefits package including: high quality 2 bedroom apartment; flights; medical insurance for employee and dependents; 80% tuition support will be provided for any successful applicant with school-aged children.
- The position will be offered on an initial three-year contract term with annual renewal thereafter.
Applications should be addressed firstname.lastname@example.org and should include:
- a complete resume/CV, a good-quality, recent head-and-shoulders photo
- the names of at least three referees with their current phone numbers and email addresses
- cover letter explaining your strengths and why you would like to work at Avenor College (and live in Bucharest, Romania)
- a statement briefly outlining your educational beliefs and leadership style
We take very seriously our duty of care towards all our students, and as part of our safeguarding procedures we will undertake rigorous checks with referees, as well as requiring you to provide current police checks.
Closing date: January 10th 2018.
- First-round interviews will be conducted via Skype.
- Final interviews for shortlisted candidates will be held at Avenor College, Bucharest (Romania) in January 2018. However, Avenor College reserves the option to invite selected candidates to interviews in advance of this schedule.