The duties outlines in this job description are in addition to those covered by the latest Local Government Pay and Conditions Document. It may be modified by the Principal, with your agreement, to reflect or anticipate changes in the job, commensurate with the salary and job title.
Main Activities and Responsibilities
Main duties and responsibilities are indicated here. Other duties at an appropriate level and nature may also be required and will be negotiated.
• Develop the Academy’s ICT resource and ICT support service in line with the Academy’s educational objectives
• Work with the Academy’s leadership team to deliver a safe, effective ICT resource for use by pupils and staff
• Monitor, Manage and plan changes in the Academy’s ICT resource for safe, effective use of pupils and staff
• Installation and maintenance of the Academy’s ICT resource
• Oversight of external ICT suppliers and contractors according to specific service level agreements and key performance indicators
• Develop and manage a high specification and reliable LAN/WAN
• Identify suitable network management tools that can support the service
• Maintain a documented network change management system
• Implement the Academy’s Learning Platform
• Define procedures and provide technical support in line with the Academy’s ICT support definition
• Evaluate the latest technology and systems in line with their use in the Academy
• Process of ensuring legal and contractual obligations relating to ICT resources, systems and services are met.
• Strategic development and maintenance of systems to support effective educational administration, data management and support systems.
• Develop a ‘customer service’ ethos within the team, and ensuring an effective help desk service is delivered to staff and students.
2. Development and implementation of ICT Strategy and Planning policies.
• Maintain an overall view of the capabilities of the Academy’s ICT service and contribute to continuous improvement to meet future needs.
• Identify software, hardware and working practices required to fulfil functional specifications.
3. Desktop and Application Support
• Oversee the maintenance in upgrade and repair of a wide range of PCs and peripherals, installing and completing applications.
• Advise on compatibility of hardware, applications and operating systems according to user requirements.
• Manage and provide 3rd Line support to escalated technical issues.
4. Server & Network support
• Manage the provisioning of latest Windows Server administration and support, i.e. Updates, upgrade, monitor performance and fix issues.
• Manage the provisioning of administration and support for the VMware Hypervisor platform for the virtualised Windows Servers Infrastructure.
• Manage the provisioning of support in the administration of the Backup and Data Recovery procedures.
• Manage the provisioning of Administration and Support in Windows Active Directory, Group Policy Security
• Manage the provisioning of Administration and Support in Exchange 2007 On-premise e-mails Service and Exchange 2013 and migration to new systems.
• Manage the provisioning of Office 365 and other cloud based systems (Azure)
• Manage the provisioning of Administration and Support on Network Switch and Wireless Infrastructure
• Ensure appropriate change management procedures are applied in implementation of maintenance tasks on server and network infrastructure.
• Manage the provisioning of Administration and Support on Citrix Xendesktop Remote Desktop Infrastructure.
• Ensure appropriate security and protection of servers and networks are in place.
• Establish and implement an effective in-house/outsourced system to respond to support requests according to Academy’s procedures, recording detailed diagnostic information and using appropriate
knowledge bases/logs to inform diagnosis and resolutions
• Ensure systems are in place to prioritise problems and determine if external support is required.
• Produce and analyse reports on support requests for management purposes; advise the Academy’s leadership team on possible training activities based on support log analysis
• Allocate tasks between support staff, including recording requests, following up calls and implementing a maintenance schedule.
9. Internal Support arrangements and external contracts
• Assess needs, define standards of service and recommend internal and external support arrangements and contracts required to deliver an effective ICT service in the Academy.
• Report and monitor progress against agreed service levels (both internal and external); review contractual arrangements and address strengths and weaknesses
• Assist Academy managers in defining appropriate support service definition and support arrangements; collate data to inform review processes.
• Interpret and report external service response data and provisionally assess effectiveness.
10. Budget and Team Responsibilities
• Be responsible for strategic business and financial planning to ensure that the ICT service meets the Academy’s vision and needs, including accountability for the ICT budget in conjunction with the Academy Senior Leadership Team
• Develop ICT financial management processes and procurement policies with reference to Academy and authority procedures;
• Manage tenders for ICT resources and advise on appropriate use of national and local framework contracts.
• Manage the ICT support team’s workload and priorities; carry out annual performance management reviews for other team members and negotiate specific personal development goals
• Maintain an up to date asset management system which adequately monitors and controls use of all ICT resources