Salary: The UCL Academy Leadership Scale L8-L13 (£56,574-£62,967) plus a £1,000 allowance in line with all teaching staff
Contract Type: Full time, Permanent following probation
Location: Swiss Cottage, London Borough of Camden, NW3 3AQ
Start Date: April 2021, or sooner, depending on notice period
“The school’s work to promote pupils’ personal development and welfare is outstanding” OFSTED 2016
Are you an empathic and innovative individual with a passion for supporting pupils, particularly with special educational needs? Are you able to lead a team, inspire others and drive a whole-school strategy for inclusive teaching? Would you be interested in working in an academy that offers unique links to UCL and an innovative connected curriculum and collaborative approach? If yes, we encourage you to apply for the position of Lead SENDCo at the state-of-the-art UCL Academy.
The Lead SENDCo will play a strategic role in steering the vision for SEND at the UCL Academy, working closely with the Senior Leadership Team and our Curriculum and Phase Leaders to raise the standard of high quality teaching and embed our model for graduated provision.
The UCL Academy is a highly inclusive school with a high number of students with EHCPs, and you will be leading a SEND Department with a Deputy SENDCo for KS3 and a Deputy SENDCo for KS4, a SEND Administrator and team of Lead Learning assistants and Learning Assistants, as well as working closely with the Lead for Teaching and Learning to inspire, support and quality assure teaching and learning across the Curriculum.
This post would be ideal for a highly committed, motivated and passionate teacher, with either experience as a Designated SENCO or Leadership experience, with a passion for SEND and a willingness to pursue the qualification with the UCL Academy. We are looking for a high quality practitioner, team-member and leader, who can inspire and support our staff, parents and pupils and shape the vision for SEND at UCL Academy.
What We Offer
• Amazing pupils, with a wide spectrum of strengths and barriers across the four Broad Areas of Need
• An experienced team of Deputy SENCos (KS3 & KS4), a SEND Administrator, Lead Learning Assistants with specialisms in each of the Four Broad Areas, and a team of Learning assistants committed to the best outcomes for our students;
• State-of-the-art classroom technology – including our unique Superstudios, subject specialism suites and demonstration; theatres for interactive teaching talks by visiting academics;
• Unlimited access to opportunities for self-development and intensive weekly Continuing Professional Learning;
• A whole school wellbeing strategy;
• An exclusive partnership with UCL where staff have access to unrivalled University libraries and resources;
• Suitable IT equipment for all teaching and support staff;
• A generous health care plan, including reimbursement for optical, dental, physiotherapy and a range of other areas, 24/7 GP access, free counselling and discounted membership at over 2,000 gyms nationwide;
• Cycle to Work scheme with ample space for bike storage;
• Transport for London Season ticket loans available upon request.
What we Want
• A candidate with a passion for SEND and inclusion, who can lead and inspire others;
• A candidate with the National SENCO qualification, or willingness to complete this within the first two year in role;
• An excellent teacher, who can model and drive standards of high quality teaching;
• A strategic leader, who can plan and evaluate the role of their Department and contribute to the School Evaluation and Improvement Plan;
• A commitment to developing your own specialist knowledge and have an excellent understanding of how children learn;
• An excellent communicator, with a strong commitment to working in partnership with parents, governors, local authorities, external agencies and the community.
Salary: The UCL Academy Leadership Scale L8-L13
How To Apply
To apply please complete and submit a detailed application form, through the ‘quick link’ provided. If you have any questions regarding the role you may contact Zaheer Ahmad, Recruitment Coordinator at 0207 449 3080 (ext. 3134) for further information. Your application is a direct application to The UCL Academy.
The advert will close on Monday 21 December 2020. All applications will be reviewed upon the school re-opening after Christmas break. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted within the first 2 weeks of Spring term.
Closing Date: 21 December 2020 at 9am
The Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people. All appointments will be subject to receipt of satisfactory Enhanced DBS check, pre-employment checks and a probation period.
Please note that if you have not heard from the Academy within 2 weeks after the closing date, please assume you have been unsuccessful.
The UCL Academy, Camden
- Mainstream school with state - academy funding
- Secondary School
- Students of mixed gender, age 11 - 18 years
The UCL Academy is sponsored by UCL, a world-class, multifaculty, research-led university. UCL's vision is an innovative Academy for pupils aged 11 to 18. We are a comprehensive, co-educational, non-denominational, fully inclusive and an active membe...