Stoke Damerel Community College is looking to recruit a Learning Mentor to work with our children and young people of all abilities who have barriers to learning that prevent them from achieving their potential and enjoying their time at school. A barrier to learning is any factor that prevents a child from being in an emotional/physical or psychological state to engage in learning. These barriers can include low self-esteem, separation, loss, anger or behavioural issues.
- To develop strategies and skills to enable the young person to make positive choices.
- To build resilience with the young person in order to achieve.
- To advise and work with the relevant school staff providing advice and guidance including key teaching staff and pastoral teams.
- To convey, evaluate and promote the views of the young person to the school when necessary including Person Centred Planning and multi agency meetings.
- Decision making on the needs of the young person including signposting and referring to therapeutic services ie; counselling.
Stoke Damerel Community College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
All members of staff at Stoke Damerel Community College must undertake the required employment checks which include the uptake of references both professional and personal and an enhanced (DBS) disclosure.