We are currently looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated Learning Support Assistant to start in September 2018. This role would suit a candidate who has initiative and who has experience with, or an interest in, special educational needs. Speech therapy experience would be an asset. The position is Monday – Thursday 8.15am to 2.30pm.
The successful candidate will work within a class to support a Year 3 child to learn both individually and in small groups. They will need to:
· Following the guide of the class teacher to provide a safe and supportive environment for the supported child to learn both individually and in small groups.
· Writing, alongside of the teacher, an Individual Learning Plan that provides specific, short term achievable targets for priority areas of learning.
· While in school, be in charge of maintaining and supervising the use of the equipment specific to child’s needs.
· Monitor progress in assimilating new information. Liaise with the teacher if opportunities are required for the child to revisit and practise areas of learning, or if they need to be introduced to new learning experiences individually in advance of the class/group.
· Provide kinaesthetic and engaging activities at the child’s level to progress learning.
· Facilitate communication and shared play but with awareness of the other children in the group.
· Ensure that the child has opportunities to develop their skills as an independent learner.
· Facilitate between school and outside agencies working with the child, ensuring there is effective communication and continuity in approach.
· Implement programmes provided by external therapists, for example speech and language intervention.
· Help when changing for sports activities and ensure that equipment is properly attached.
· Supervise at breaks and specifically at bathroom time, or be in school at all times and available to help if assistance is needed with any of the equipment.
· Supervise the child when on the street, trips out or in an unfamiliar environment but with awareness of the other children in the group.
· Attend full day class trips approximately once a term and the 2 day residential in the Summer Term.
· Form good relationships with not only the class teacher but all members of staff.
Chepstow House School is an established 3 form entry, Coed Prep with a nursery attached and outstanding facilities within the Notting Hill Gate area. It is a growing school offering opportunities for staff development and career progression. It is part of the Alpha Plus Group, which is one of the country's leading educational groups.
The aim of the school is to provide a broad and balanced curriculum that enables each child to achieve their full potential in a happy and caring environment. Chepstow House aims to discover the best in every child and challenge them to go beyond their expectations.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Chepstow House School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all our children. All staff are trained in child protection and understand to report concerns by following the safeguarding and whistle blowing policies. We ensure all candidates are properly police checked. The successful applicant will need to obtain an enhanced disclosure via the DBS and have DBS (Disclosure & Barring Service) clearance.
References will be taken up and will be carefully checked.
Closing date: 17/06/2018